What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Web Applications for iOS

monkey_slap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been working on these a lot, porting old sites to iPad/iPhone compatible ones. I think they're a ton of fun. I mostly use them as tools around the house and being out and about. iOS 4.2 just opened up a lot more HTML5 options, so I've been experimenting a ton with WebSockets lately.

I've been working on this guide as a how-to for others. You can really make some interesting tools and if you spend a good amount of time on them, they can run just like native apps. I've always wanted to make iOS apps, but the whole SDK and Mac-only dev platform were huge turn offs.

Anyways, here's my blog link. This is just a little hobby of mine, would love to see who else has any fun making these sort of sites or even if others have suggestions.

A Definitive Guide to iOS Web Apps | ryannystrom:\blog

I haven't tried doing anything like this yet, however with your guide, it is now a possibility.

Kudos for the link and the writing. I have it bookmarked and will be looking to test some things out on my own. Very cool!

Here's a quick demo I made today. Go to this url on your iOS device and in SAFARI on a PC (OS doesn't matter, just Safari). Enter the # that you see on your iOS device into the textbox in Safari. Then move the device around and watch the monitor.

I just discovered the DeviceOrientation API today. I've been doing Websocket work for a while, but I instantly knew how to merge the two. If someone is good at making canvas games, then this would be a great oppurtunity to use an iOS device as a controller.

Websocket & DeviceOrientation Demo

I'll be posting another web app that I've been working on for months in a few hours. It's simple, but the fact that you can do it entirely on the web is awesome.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back