What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Way to get more detailed free space reporting on iPad?

Rineybree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, first message on the forums.

I made the mistake of buying a 16GB iPad (knew I should have gotten a 64GB!) and am finding that I am getting really tight on space. iTunes tells me that my apps are taking up 5.5GB, but when I look in the apps list and do a bit of manual calculation, they only seem to add up to about 2.5GB.

I know that I have a few magazines downloaded in Zinio and Wired, PDFs downloaded through good reader, etc., and am sure these are taking up a good amount of space. The problem is, the space being taken up by apps as reported by iTunes does not seem to factor in any documents or files that are contained within that app.

My question is: is there any way to find out how much space these files within apps are taking up so that I can target them for deletion? I know that space reporting functionality is going to be improved in iOS5, but I hope there is a solution for this now.

I've always liked in Windows how you can do a search for files and specify file size so that you can delete just the biggest files that you don't need and free up space quickly.I would love for there to be a utility that would allow me to do this on my iPad (without jailbreaking it).

Any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you only have 5GB of apps, good for you.

sell and buy....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's only really iTunes that gives any information at all. Because of the way that iPad apps are isolated ('sandboxed') by Apple, it's not possible for another app to give you an 'overview' of the space being consumed by files in another app's filespace. Can you see, in iTunes, space allocated to a category classified as 'Other'? Some Members have found an excessive 'build up' of data in this category. There is some disagreement as to the best way to remove or reduce this category - which seems to be files that iTunes does not recognise but the general concencus seems to be that it's necessary to restore the iPad to clear this up.

Tim

OP
R

Rineybree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

My "Other" category is doing fine, it's just my apps where I can't seem to account for a lot of the space that's being taken up (and 5.5GB on a 16GB drive is a big deal!).

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to wait and see if iOS5 gives us some more options for solving this issue (or, I could learn how to keep track of my files more effectively... wonder which will happen first).

Anyone have any idea when iOS5 is supposed to be released?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Current rumors are guessing September (though I'm more inclined to believe October), around the same time we are guessing the iPhone 5 will be announced/released.

csibbald

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, first message on the forums.

I made the mistake of buying a 16GB iPad (knew I should have gotten a 64GB!) and am finding that I am getting really tight on space. iTunes tells me that my apps are taking up 5.5GB, but when I look in the apps list and do a bit of manual calculation, they only seem to add up to about 2.5GB.

I know that I have a few magazines downloaded in Zinio and Wired, PDFs downloaded through good reader, etc., and am sure these are taking up a good amount of space. The problem is, the space being taken up by apps as reported by iTunes does not seem to factor in any documents or files that are contained within that app.

My question is: is there any way to find out how much space these files within apps are taking up so that I can target them for deletion? I know that space reporting functionality is going to be improved in iOS5, but I hope there is a solution for this now.

I've always liked in Windows how you can do a search for files and specify file size so that you can delete just the biggest files that you don't need and free up space quickly.I would love for there to be a utility that would allow me to do this on my iPad (without jailbreaking it).

Any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried the "System Manager".

SYSTEM Manager For iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad Review - GriffenX - iHackMyi

Cheers,
Chris

Most reactions