What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to workout but can't afford a nice workout app?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I was using one of my workout apps today I realized that the information it was displaying was just columns and rows of information. Then it dawned on me that this type of information log could be done just as easily in a spreadsheet app. So, I decided to download Apple's free Numbers spreadsheet app and try creating my own workout log.

Well, how about that! It's not as fancy as the expensive workout apps but it gets the job done if you can't afford the fancy apps. Spreadsheets are wonderful and are only limited by your imagination. An iPad makes an ideal workout companion :)

An example workout log in Numbers ( yes, the 6th column is checkboxes!):
image.jpg

An example body measurement log in Numbers (tracking one year per sheet):
image.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Nice. I've done similar spreadsheets before, but eventually I always give up and go back to a specialized app. A good one makes it easier to enter the data, which is a big plus while you're exercising.

The other thing I've done is create spreadsheets that take data from my exercise app(s), so I can track it in ways the app doesn't. My most elaborate was this one, that I used to crunch my walks from the Runmeter app.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436651093.801325.jpg

Last edited:
OP
A

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice. I've done similar spreadsheets before, but eventually I always give up and go back to a specialized app. A good one makes it easier to enter the data, which is a big plus while you're exercising.

The other thing I've done is create spreadsheets that take data from my exercise app(s), so I can track it in ways the app doesn't. My most elaborate was this one, that I used to crunch my walks from the Runmeter app.

View attachment 66096
Wowsers, very nice! Yes, there is much to be said for specialized apps, but a spreadsheet can work almost as well if the apps are out of your financial reach. I still have a few apps on my wish list that I likely won't be able to afford until next year.

I need to explore my workout apps and see if they allow exporting to a spreadsheet-capable format. Excellent job with what you did there!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. In the end I stopped using it, it did what I wanted and gave me an idea of my overall progress at that time.

But seriously, I'm a bit deranged. I actually enjoy figuring out and setting up a good spreadsheet. I just lose interest when it comes to using it. :)

Most reactions