What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virgin Apple user

49erjohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I have never been a fan of Mac. I am a IT guy by trade and very fond of PC. I have to admit that this iPad is really, really cool. I'm sure they have their reasons for not adding USB support, but I am guessing that could come later down the road via adapter. A lot of people have commented that this was never meant to replace a notebook, but honestly, I think it can fully replace a note book by adding USB and Ethernet support. Just my opinion.
I have recently added Netflix, which is awesome on here.
I'm sure most everyone who owns an iPad has subscribed already. Bummer this doesn't support Java, but I don't think Mac has ever supported Java?
I am currently in the midst of finding a way to tether the iPad to my motorola droid. I believe there are ways to do it if I root my phone, but I am skeptical to do that because I have heard it greatly affects the droids performance.
Anyways, if anyone has any cool apps they would like to suggest bring it on.
If anyone has any info on how to tether the droid without rooting even better.
Thankyou for taking the time to read my post, and I am looking forward to using my new iPad!!!!

John P.
Riverside, Ca

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I have never been a fan of Mac. I am a IT guy by trade and very fond of PC. I have to admit that this iPad is really, really cool. I'm sure they have their reasons for not adding USB support, but I am guessing that could come later down the road via adapter. A lot of people have commented that this was never meant to replace a notebook, but honestly, I think it can fully replace a note book by adding USB and Ethernet support. Just my opinion.
I have recently added Netflix, which is awesome on here.
I'm sure most everyone who owns an iPad has subscribed already. Bummer this doesn't support Java, but I don't think Mac has ever supported Java?
I am currently in the midst of finding a way to tether the iPad to my motorola droid. I believe there are ways to do it if I root my phone, but I am skeptical to do that because I have heard it greatly affects the droids performance.
Anyways, if anyone has any cool apps they would like to suggest bring it on.
If anyone has any info on how to tether the droid without rooting even better.
Thankyou for taking the time to read my post, and I am looking forward to using my new iPad!!!!

John P.
Riverside, Ca

Glad you like it, it does have full USB support it just needs applications/peripherals to take advantage of it, I wouldn't ever expect ethernet tho...

shadownmss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also in IT and was a PC person until five years ago. I started with my first iPod then bought a Mac Mini and I am now on my second MacBook Pro. The overall hardware and software design won me over........I good app to try is Good Reader it is a tool you can use to download and manage files on the iPad as well as move files back and forth between your iPad and your computer.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome 49er, check out the tethering thread. Lots of help there for your droid. I have managed to replace my laptop completely. I use WinAdmin to connect to my server at work, works great. Enjoy your iPad and the forum.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Welcome! I'm a PC guy, but when it comes to mobile, i'm iPhone/iPad. The OS and availability of apps is just supurb. Nothing else comes close IMHO.

Hope to read more from you....

And +1 for Goodreader......

Last edited:
OP

49erjohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone taking the time to read my post. I will definitely check out good reader.
Gentlefury, I am pretty sure iPad doesn't offer USB support. That was one of the questions I had for the clerk at the apple store where I bought it. Who knows what his knowledge level of this device is? If you know of any peripherals please let me know.
The only ones I know of is a VGA adapter to extend the screen to another monitor/tv, and they are coming out with a camera as well.
Please keep the ideas coming for apps if anyone has any others.
Thanks again!!!!!!!

John

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome from Europe.
I'm addicted to Mac since a looooooong time and I never regret having switched.
One thing I've noticed, the clercs at the Apple Stores are quiet knowledgeable, but when it comes to new or still unknown hardware (support), they don't know that either.

I hope that Apple will allow people to use the Camera Kit USB Adapter to be used to hook up an external USB-Drive.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome in the mav tribe

I appreciate everyone taking the time to read my post. I will definitely check out good reader.
Gentlefury, I am pretty sure iPad doesn't offer USB support. That was one of the questions I had for the clerk at the apple store where I bought it. Who what his knowledge level of this device is? If you know of any peripherals please let me know.
The only ones I know of is a VGA adapter to extend the screen to another monitor/tv, and they are coming out with a camera as well.
Please keep the ideas coming for apps if anyone has any others.
Thanks again!!!!!!!

John

Hi John , welcome here from Asia

one of the app's for me is Stanza (yet no Ibook in my country) i enjoy this app in my iphone for long time ago so off course i enjoy it to in my iPad

for reply at your concern of the USB far as i know it will not be possible before the OS 4 come out ... yet we are working in it for our stand , check our website if you want to know more

Most reactions