What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viewing / Opening back-up files

NewMax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, about to update operating system on my Ipad2 and first backed up on a friends Mac. Completed the back-up and finally found where back up was on Mac - Files user/ library / application support/mobile sync/back up.

The back up files names are (to me) a meaningless jumble of letters and numbers. All termed 'documents'. I hoped that I was backing up photos and Applications etc. I tried, but failed, to open any of the backup files to check the photos etc are saved on Mac.

Any advice on how to view/ open these backed up files?

Thanks NewMax

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They aren't "openable." iTunes takes everything and mushes it together and it is only accessible by iTunes when a "restore from backup" command is given.

That's the way iTunes/Apple rolls. Sorry.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
NewMax said:
Any advice on how to view/ open these backed up files?

There are a few programs that will extract files from a backup (if you haven't encrypted it). Try a Google search for iOS Backup extractor. I've never used one, so I'm not going to make recommendations.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, snap!

Thanks for reminding me, twerppoet. There IS something that you can use to look at a backup. I've even used it - successfully, I might add. In f4780y's words:

"You may be able to use something like iBackupBot to interrogate the iTunes backup file on your PC ..."

So, maybe iBackupBot will work for you. There is a free download version for trying out. I ended up buying the full version to do what I needed, but I was able to look through my most recent backup. Note that I was using a Windows 7 PC ... I don't know how/if it works on a Mac.

Good luck and sorry about the first reply. Thanks, again, twerppoet! :D

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Got looking through my notes for another thread and ran accross this alternative: iPhone Backup Extractor. Thought I'd mention just because. I've never used either of them.

Most reactions

Latest posts