What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Glitch on iPad Air 2

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had an occasional problem with videos on my Air 2 that I don't think that I had on my Air. I have 64 videos taken with my Air 2 and 4 of them have a glitched picture. Note the right-hand side of the attached screen capture. It seems to be a duplicate taken from the middle of the picture. Has anyone else run into this?

Attachments

• glitch.jpg
    glitch.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 325
OP
G

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had an occasional problem with videos on my Air 2 that I don't think that I had on my Air. I have 64 videos taken with my Air 2 and 4 of them have a glitched picture. Note the right-hand side of the attached screen capture. It seems to be a duplicate taken from the middle of the picture. Has anyone else run into this?
Okay, I finally got around to taking my iPad down to the local Apple store and they said it was almost certainly a defective iPad. They swapped it (under warranty) for a new iPad, which I just got done reloading with everything. I need to take some videos tomorrow to see if the problem has been solved.

OP
G

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I hope it's solved your issue.
Well, I have taken 20 "throw-away" videos under a variety of conditions and have not seen the problem yet, but that is not yet really enough testing to pronounce the problem gone. Only time will tell for sure.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds promising, though. And I agree with the tech, it was most likely a hardware problem, which makes it even more likely the problem is gone.

OP
G

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I guess I was pre-mature on declaring victory. I am back to EXACTLY the same problem with my new iPad. This time, however, it manifests itself in still pictures. I haven't seen it yet in videos, but it may yet be manifested there. I think that for my next test, I will remove all non-native & third party apps to see if the problem remains. I will do a backup first, of course, so I can always restore it.

OP
G

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After going to the Genius Bar at another Apple Store, it was suggested that I go all the way back and set up the iPad as new and re-download all of my apps fresh, in case that some memory had been altered. Well, I did that and gave the camera a workout today. The problem is STILL with me. So, it is looking more and more like a generic problem with iPad Air 2 units. There are still some more tests that I can run, but I might just have to live with it. If I examine the screen before taking each picture, I can see the problem before taking the picture. Once it starts to occur, it infects every following picture until I close and reopen the camera app. I took over 100 pictures this morning before it first entered glitch mode. After clearing the problem, it didn't happen again in the remaining 70 pictures that I took.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever taken that many pictures in a day with my iPhone, let alone my iPad, so I suppose it might be a rare bug that few see. If even 10% of people were seeing it, this issue would be all over the news and help sites.

Are you using the native Photos app? I don't rememberer if you said what app you were using.

Side Note: When I was into my DSLR I often took 3 to 4 hundred pictures on a good day. I just don't get that crazy with the iPhone. A few dozen a day is about it, even when the mood strikes.

OP
G

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry I missed your last post. Yes, I am using the native camera app for my iPad. I have several different cameras I use, including a high-end Canon model that I have had for 7 years now. I use the iPad camera a lot for documentation type pictures. We have a number of large building projects going on here in town and I wanted to get some before & after pictures. When I really get going on a project like this, I might take several hundred such pictures in a day. I like the iPad because I get automatic GPS tagging on all of my pictures, something that requires a fair amount of manual work with my Canon DSLR.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No more ideas then.

My workaround for GPS on the DSLR (when I userD it) was to take one or two shots at each location with the phone. After I imported both devices into Aperture on the iMac I would copy the location metadata from the iPhone shots to the DSLR shots.

Now that I'm not using the iMac or Aperture for photo managment I'll have to come up with another method if/when I use the DSLR.

Or buy a more modern DSLR with a built in GPS.

OP
G

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Canon 50D is over 7 years old now, but still performs great. No reason to spend the memory for a newer model with WiFi & GPS. Besides, I have a fortune invested in lenses, so I am pretty much stuck with the same line of cameras if I want to upgrade. As far as getting GPS coordinates onto a picture when using the 50D, I use this method: I have an app for my iPad called "MotionX". Among other things, it can keep a high resolution trace of your travels for the day and export it to a .GPX file. I load both my pictures and my GPX trace into Adobe Lightroom. It has a function to match up a picture with a particular trace point based on the time and applies those coordinates to the picture. I normally only do this once at the end of the day. Lightroom can stamp all of my selected pictures in one operation. With proper use, this method is just as accurate as the GPS coordinates generated for pictures taken with my iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your workflow sounds better than mine. I have Motion X GPS, but never considered using it that way.

As far as old cameras go I've got you beat. Mine's a Canon 20D, which I bought when the 30D's were just coming out. Every now and then I get the itch to pick up one of the newer model Rebels, but it usually goes away after a nap. :rolleyes:

OP
G

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have my Canon 20D, but haven't used it since I got the 50D. There is one additional step for maximum precision in GPS coordinates using my method: Before you tag the pictures, you need to make sure that the time stamp on the pictures is accurate. I accomplish this by first taking a picture of the clock on the iPad, which is normally correct to within a tiny fraction of a second. So now I have two time stamps: The picture of the clock, and the time stamped into the metadata of the picture. Adobe Lightroom has another special function to adjust the capture time. I first select the clock picture as my key picture, then extend my selection to all the rest of the pictures I want to correct. I then tell Lightroom to adjust the capture time of all of the selected pictures based on the correction I enter. In place of the original capture time, I enter the time shown in the picture and let it apply the corresponding correction to all of the day's pictures. This will normally make the corrected time stamp correct to within a second or so. This means that my last picture most days is a picture of the iPad clock.

OP
G

gedstrom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another thing you can do when you do this in the long term over a year or so is to see just how stable your camera clock is. Mine consistently loses about two seconds per month. I have made a graph of its drift.

Most reactions

Latest posts