What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon DSL with the IPAD, Yes/No?

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello all...happy day after turkey day....

Considering an IPAD purchase, however, I'm not sure how it would play with DSL, which I have now. I don't think DSL is as fast as cable or FIOS. DSL shows 768bits or something like that here.

No wireless right now with my PC, would need a wireless router as well.

Reading other posts, this 4.2 seems to be a concern as well !!

Thanks for the great forum So many teriffic questions and answers with no one bad mouthing others !!:)

Ken......

Last edited:

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all...happy day after turkey day....

Considering an IPAD purchase, however, I'm not sure how it would play with DSL, which I have now. I don't think DSL is as fast as cable or FIOS. DSL shows 768bits or something like that here.

No wireless right now with my PC, would need a wireless router as well.

Reading other posts, this 4.2 seems to be a concern as well !!

Thanks for the great forum So many teriffic questions and answers with no one bad mouthing others !!:)

Ken......

If you are actually reading the threads, not just the title of the threads you will see that most people think 4.2 is an excellent update.

If you went with Verizon you would be using their 3G, and as you say DSL is slower then cable, it is still faster then 3G. You would indeed need a a wireless network.

I only use my iPad in the home so there is no reason for me to have Data service. If you plan on using your iPad in other areas then you may want to look at Verizon. They have better coverage then AT&T, much more reliable.

Hope this helps.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Church Had a DSL subscription

And it was slow, but usable--I had no problems getting email and going to a website--of course not during service!

If you have a choice, fios is the way to go. I had cable at home and during certain times in the day, my access to the world wide web slowed down. I have not experienced that problem with fios. However, I do experience a slow down when more that one wifi enabled device is accessing my fios service. For example, I had three friends over yesterday, when we all got on wifi, all of our devices experienced a discernible slow down in access, not so slow that we waited, but enough for my geekiest friend to state, geez Matt when are you going to replace your router?

You will need a wireless router, regardless--the telephone company or cable co will provide that as part of their service for a price.

I upgraded to 4.2--I had no problems. My iPad has not been jail broken, it gets backed up and synch once a week, before every back up and synch, I power it off, connect it to my PC, launch iTunes, and about 10 minutes later the process is completed.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses folks.....Just planning on a wi-fi IPAD for here in the house.

Yes, most seem to be happy with 4.2, you just wonder why everyone's isn't working the same as before they upgraded.....Ken

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Verizon DSL, and I am in a rural area. It is still faster than 3G. I get between 200KB and 315KB per sec download speed. Wish it were faster, but it sure beats Dial-Up!!

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Bill stated, if you are thinking of going a data plan, do it through verizon, unless you check the AT&T coverage in your area ( even then good luck, I have little to no coverage where it says I should have full lol )

As Matt stated cable can be a pain also, I have comcast and at times is runs slower than my AT&T 3G which is sad to start with. Just do some research first so you do not end up in a contract for something that doesnt work the way you had hoped..

Most reactions