What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Veiwing Online PDFs

LysWills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The school I attend uses a site similar to Blackboard for professors to post their lecture notes online. Most of the notes are PDF files. When I open the files from the website on my iPad it only allows me to veiw the first page and a half of the file and does not download the rest. I have tried opening the files in GoodReader and they appear the same. I did not have this problem when my iPad was new and my friend is able to veiw the entire PDF on her iPad. Is it possible that some setting accidently was changed that limits the file size? Any ideas of how to veiw the entire file?

Thanks for any suggestions!

FunN4Lo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can not help, but I have the same issue with an online PDF so a bump for ya. I up load PDF reports for work to a web site. I can only get 1page of a multiple page report to open on my iPad. if I email the same report as an attachment, it opens

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Strange problem. I have no idea how to help except to suggest the iPad's golden bullet: hold down the sleep button and the lock button for at least 10 seconds until... I can't remember what happens next, but it's nothing bad (I've never done this myself, but people around here do it all the time to cure mysterious problems). It's a reset of some sort.

To quote Pocobear from another thread:
Close all apps then - Hold down the HOME, bottom button, and the SLEEP, top button, for about 10 seconds until the Apple icon appears. Allow it to reboot, it may take a few minutes, don't panic like I did, wait for it to reboot. Cures many weird problems on iOS devices. This will not delete any apps or data.

Last edited:

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you know that there are actually two different PDF rendering engines in GoodReader? Try the other one in settings (inside the GoodReader app).

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you try the Goodreader trick of putting a "g" in the very front of the URL? That sends the file to open in Goodreader. Hey, sometimes it works...

Other than that, I'm with Sridhar - can you give us the URL for testing?

Marilyn

OP
L

LysWills

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of the PDFs that I am experiencing problems with require a password to log in. So I am unable to provide an example as well.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@FunN4Lo: GoodReader is an app (currently $3.99 USD in the app store) that is awesome for viewing PDF files. Not only can it read PDFs, it has its own browser so you can navigate to a web site for PDF viewing/download. Maybe try that?

If I remember correctly, didn't Safari get updated so that if you have an app installed that'll open PDFs, you'll get the "Open In" button right in Safari? So, if you get GoodReader (or another office function app), maybe you'll get that button and then it'll work ... (?).

There may be a way to use Dropbox (free app with online storage - first 2gb are free sign-up). You put a program on your desktop and then you have a drag-n-drop file folder that is accessible anywhere. Much faster (IMHO) than e-mail. Documents are "in the cloud" - behind firewalls and passwords and easily deleted/manipulated/etc.

Maybe those two options will help? 'Cause I sure don't know why you can't see the whole PDF...

@LysWillis: Ah, see, I thought that might be your answer (my school also puts stuff on password-only school bulletin board). Can you try e-mailing the PDFs to yourself?

Odd that you have this problem, when before you didn't (and that your friend doesn't). Maybe it's time for a trip to the Apple Store to see the "Genius'"?

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts