What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iPad to view Android cam streaming

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, here's the deal: I'm moving from northern California to north-central Oregon next weekend, a 10-hour drive (without stops). I will be driving a 24' moving truck towing an auto transport with my car riding atop (not dragging along on the rear wheels). I have eight cats and they will be riding in the car like a giant kitty carrier, complete with litter box, food, water, all windows and vents opened as much as possible enough for ventilation, seats all folded down, back seats down to open up the trunk space for additional room and shade, large cushion for comfort, window blind, etc., driving from late afternoon/early evening when it's cool and driving straight on through the night into the early morning. This is something we've done before years ago.

However, this time, I won't have anyone following behind, as all of this (the packing, loading, driving, unloading, etc.) is being done entirely by me alone. I want to keep an eye on the cats and my car from time to time. I have a window/dash mount for the iPad and a window mount for my phone (EVO 4G on Android)- I normally just use my phone for navigation, etc. in my car. What I'd love to do is find a way to view streaming video from the phone's cam, while it's in the window mount in my car, using the iPad, which would be in the truck cab with me. The phone would allow me to not only see the inside of the car (and thus, kitties) but also what's behind me. Wirelessly would be great. Both devices will have lots of power from the vehicles' batteries. Also, we will be driving through rural areas where neither device will get cellular data service, but about 2/3 of the way will SE coverage for one or both devices.

I'm a Paramedic and professional emergency vehicle operator. Driving a moving truck is much the same as driving my International heavy duty ambulance. I'm accustomed to drivingand multi-tasking with rear-view cameras, sirens, system status computer, radios, emergency lights, environmental controls, and other stuff as part of the job, so this is nothing new to me. I just need something to function as a rear-view camera setup, if possible. I do have some wireless IP cams. I use them for home security and view them over the 'net with apps on the phone and iPad. These are AC units but I do have a cig lighter plug-in DC-to-AC inverter that should do the trick. They're capable of Ad-Hoc access. Perhaps I could use one of those and view from the iPad up in the front?

Does anyone have suggestions?

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since you will not have 3G access, you are really stuck with a local Wifi network. No Internet.

What's the feed from the IP cameras?

Closed Wifi network would be my first choice. Stream the video from a web server in the car and watch in safari on the iPad.

-t

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since you will not have 3G access, you are really stuck with a local Wifi network. No Internet.

What's the feed from the IP cameras?

Closed Wifi network would be my first choice. Stream the video from a web server in the car and watch in safari on the iPad.

-t

I'll have some 3G access for both devices off and on but there will be areas of zero coverage for one or both at times.

Feed from IP cameras? Not sure what you mean there. Normally, I have five IP cams around the house which feed live video via port forwarding, which I access via secure log-in vai a web browser or an app on the iPad, phone, etc. The cams are capable of Ad-Hoc. They each are servers.

"Closed WiFi network"-are you referring to simply running the camera and using the Safari to tap into the camera via its settings page (which offers a view)? Could it really be as simple as that? Also, I'm wondering about output....this would be in my car, riding atop an auto transport trailer being towed behind a 24' moving truck. My iPad would be way up front in the cab.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You need to create an adhoc wifi network to connect your devices wirelessly.

You can do this directly on a jail broken iPad - though I've never tried it without actually sharing an existing network connection, or with a laptop.

Stand alone devices like Mifi should also work, but again I have not tested without actually sharing a 3G connection.

Typical connection distances are 10 meters.

-t

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:
You need to create an adhoc wifi network to connect your devices wirelessly.

You can do this directly on a jail broken iPad - though I've never tried it without actually sharing an existing network connection, or with a laptop.

Stand alone devices like Mifi should also work, but again I have not tested without actually sharing a 3G connection.

Typical connection distances are 10 meters.

-t

Oh. I'm not into jailbreaking.

Thinking of using a mobile router or similar.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts