What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iPad to access a software

TonyArc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to remotely access a software using my ipad. I'm using a file archiver program called DefendX. The software is located on a seperate computer running on windows server 2019. Sorry for my ignorance but can this be accessed remotely using an ipad? What app can I download? Im thinking of LogMeIn but there might be something else much better.

Another option is if the software has an app itself. Do you think it's efficient to use it that way rather than accessing remotely? If yes then I might suggest that to the developers

TIA for the responses!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
LogMein is a good choice, according to what I've read anyway.

I use Splashtop to access my Mac and Windows computers, and AnyDesk to access my Raspberry Pi. I prefer Splashtop's tools, but it does not support Linux. Both have free personal tiers. You have to download the main software on the iPad, and a remote client on the computer you want to control.

Keep in mind you are not running the software on the iPad, you're remotely controlling the other computer. That computer needs to be on and connected to the internet to be available; since the discovery and secure logon are handled by the remote service provider.

There are other possibilities, but they take a little more knowhow to set up and access computers not on your own network. On the plus side, you don't need to go through someone like the third party services mentioned above.

OP
T

TonyArc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LogMein is a good choice, according to what I've read anyway.

I use Splashtop to access my Mac and Windows computers, and AnyDesk to access my Raspberry Pi. I prefer Splashtop's tools, but it does not support Linux. Both have free personal tiers. You have to download the main software on the iPad, and a remote client on the computer you want to control.

Keep in mind you are not running the software on the iPad, you're remotely controlling the other computer. That computer needs to be on and connected to the internet to be available; since the discovery and secure logon are handled by the remote service provider.

There are other possibilities, but they take a little more knowhow to set up and access computers not on your own network. On the plus side, you don't need to go through someone like the third party services mentioned above.

Hey twerppoet! Let me try your suggestion. I have not heard of Splashtop but seems like a good tool. Is there a free trial though??

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey twerppoet! Let me try your suggestion. I have not heard of Splashtop but seems like a good tool. Is there a free trial though??

Yes, there is a free trial. There used to be a a free tier, but looks like that is no longer the case. I wonder how long they have me grandfathered in. Well, it's worth the $60 a year (about $5 a month).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh! Now I understand. The pricing for the computer client and iPad client are different. You can get limited use on the iPad for free, with a bit more access for cheaper than you can if you do the remote control from your computer. Just get Splashtop Personal in the App store, and download the free client on your computer from the site.

My mistake.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Splashtop Personal is not quite free (I can't see how much in the App Store as I already own it), but it costs nothing extra to access computers on your local network. By subscription, you can add access to outside computers over the Internet. Free remote clients must be installed on Macs or PCs to reach them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The download should be free. There are in-app purchases (and subscriptions) which you may need in order to unlock the features you want. My current subscription is the firsts tier, cheapest. It was a bit under $2, and does not appear to be recurring. That may have changed.

While you can't see the price of an app you've purchased in the iPad App Store, if you copy the link and use a web browser on a computer it will open the website version of the app's page. You can't buy from it, but if you look down page a bit at the Information section, the price is listed. As well as the various in-app purchase prices. Unfortunately the description of what each of those sparse.

But, the first, lowest cost tier is about $2, and does not say anything about being recurring; so hope is there. I it is recurring, there will be a warning before you confirm the purchase.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 19.33.21.png

Most reactions

Latest posts