What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Gmail with iPad

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi All!
I keep my Gmail email organized by labeling it. Is it true that new labels cannot be created with an iPad?

I went to Gmail Settings and found the following:

Create a label
You’ll need to use your computer to create a Gmail label.
1. On a computer, open Gmail and sign in.
2. On the left, below your labels list, click More. If you don't see More, drag the gray dividing line down to show more labels.
3. Click Create new label.
4. Type the name of your new label.
5. Click Create.

I've been using my Netbook to create labels up to now. Then, the new label shows up on my iPad.
I would very much prefer to do this with my iPad.

One more thing- When I apply a label to a Gmail email using my iPad, the message remains in my inbox. Using the Netbook, applying a label archives the message. So, I have to open Gmail using my Netbook again to clean up my inbox. Inconvenient!

Is this the only option? Is there a better way?

Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ignore the following: I'm leaving it for context, but I was wrong. See the next post.

I don't use my Gmail much, and I'm feeling lazy, so some of what I'm about to say may be inaccurate.

But not this part. Gmail uses some non-standard IMAP extentions. One of these is lables. IMAP supports folders, but labels aren't really folders, even though they look the same. This give most other mail apps that support standard IMAP fits. Apple has done a lot to try to accomodate gmail, but it isn't always perfect.

This part I'm not sure of, but seems likely.

The Gmail app for the iPad should be able to create the lables you need. Or, I'd be very disappointed if it could not. Just download it from the stoare and give it a try. You can keep. Using the Mail app if you wish, and probably need to if you are in the habit of mailing things from third party apps; but you can use the GMail app when you need to do things the Mail app can't, like make new lables.

Or maybe you'll decide you liek the Gmail app, and only use Mail when you have to.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I got currious, and it overrode my lazyness. And a good thing.

You can not create new lables in the Gmail app; but you can in Mail. And that's just plain stupid.o_O

To create a new lable in Mail (which treats Gmail lables as folders).

Go the Mailboxs view and choose Gmail from the account list at the bottom.
Choose Edit from the top right.
Then New Mailbox at the bottom right.

I moved one email into my Test folder, then opened the Gmail app to check. Both the folder and the email I moved were present.

Sorry about the previous post. It never occured to me Google's email client would be less capable (in any task) than the Mail app when it came to Google's own service.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, you can probably visit the Gmail site in Safari on the iPad and edit your lables there. If the mobile site doesn't give you the option, tap hold on the reload icon (circular arrow) in the URL bar and choose Request Desktop Site.

If you don't want to use the Mail app, this is probably your best choice.

Good luck.

Note: I did not test this.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds like a ploy on Apple's part to get people to use Mail. :)

Thanks, guys, I will of course put your ideas to the test!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The usual Gmail app might not work perfectly with Google Mail, because they're promoting another Google Mail app, called Inbox. It's possible there to create labels/folders.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe a bit easier:
On the mobile site in Safari, tap the button in the address bar to request the desktop site:
image.jpeg

It's possible that you have to do that twice.
When the site looks like this, tap the following icon:
image.jpeg

and then Mail:
image.jpeg

and you'll get to the desktop version.

Most reactions

Latest posts