What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using CloudOn

Robertebrown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CloudOn seems very useful, but I'm having trouble trying to do things that should be very easy.
Let me start with a question: As far as I can see, every new file created by CloudOn is placed
in the root of your Dropbox directory. Is that correct?
Ok, so suppose I've created a file called TEST which is now in the root of Dropbox. In iOS I want to
copy this file into PrintQueue, a subdirectory in my Dropbox. How do I do that? I can't figure
out a way to do that either within CloudOn or in the iOS version of Dropbox. I'd be happy to
use either iOS app if someone can explain how to do it.

CloudOn Support

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi!

You are correct. When you create a new file in CloudOn, it will save in the storage service file directory you were located in when you created it. It looks like you may be looking for a "Save As" feature so that you can duplicate that saved file and save it in a different location. CloudOn does not currently offer this option at this time but we are considering offering support for this feature in a future release. You can show your support for this enhancement request at: Save As command

As a workaround, you can copy the contents of your file and save it to a new file by creating that new file in the desired location or by copying and pasting your contents into a new file and then moving the second file manually to the desired location.

If this doesn't describe what you are looking for, please don't hesitate to reach out to us further at [email protected] so that we can chat further.

Thanks for your support!

The CloudOn Team

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know enough about CloudOn to offer any advice there.

However, in the DropBox app on the iPad.

• Navigate to the file you want to move.
  • Tap on the checkmark in a circle icon at the top of the file list.
  • Tap the empty circle to the left of the file or files to select.
  • Tap the Move button that appears at the bottom of the file list.
  • In the pop-up menu navigate to and open the folder you want to save them in.
  • Tap Choose.

Done.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oops. You did say that, and yet I got it wrong anyway. Sorry.

There is no way to copy a file in the DropBox app, however you can do it from the DropBox website via Safari.

Go to DropBox in Safari and log in.
Navigate to the file.
Tap twice on the file in the list (but not on a link, try the document type). It will turn dark blue.

A menu/option bar will appear just above the list.

Choose More and then Copy.

Navigate to and select the folder you want to copy to. (use the (+) to get to subfolders)
Tap the Copy button.

There are a few other methods (that I can think of), but they all involve downloading the file to the iPad, at least temporarily.

It seems strange to me that you can't copy the file by some method while using the CloudOn app, but since I don't have that app/service I can't look for anything.

Good Luck.

aikhattak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Oops. You did say that, and yet I got it wrong anyway. Sorry.

There is no way to copy a file in the DropBox app, however you can do it from the DropBox website via Safari.

Go to DropBox in Safari and log in.
Navigate to the file.
Tap twice on the file in the list (but not on a link, try the document type). It will turn dark blue.

A menu/option bar will appear just above the list.

Choose More and then Copy.

Navigate to and select the folder you want to copy to. (use the (+) to get to subfolders)
Tap the Copy button.

There are a few other methods (that I can think of), but they all involve downloading the file to the iPad, at least temporarily.

It seems strange to me that you can't copy the file by some method while using the CloudOn app, but since I don't have that app/service I can't look for anything.

Good Luck.

What about jailbreak 6.0

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
aikhattak said:
What about jailbreak 6.0

There's no reason why you cannot copy files in the dropbox app except that the developers have not included it. A jailbreak would not change that. Jailbreak tweaks change iOS functions or allow apps that Apple would not normally approve. It does not tack things on to third party apps, at least not in that way.

And since there is no jailbreak for iOS 6 yet, the point is moot.

superjz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CloudOn seems very useful, but I'm having trouble trying to do things that should be very easy.
Let me start with a question: As far as I can see, every new file created by CloudOn is placed
in the root of your Dropbox directory. Is that correct?

Not really. A new file is saved in the folder in which you currently are. So, if you are in Dropbox -> My Documents -> Important, the file will be created in the "Important" folder.

Ok, so suppose I've created a file called TEST which is now in the root of Dropbox. In iOS I want to
copy this file into PrintQueue, a subdirectory in my Dropbox. How do I do that?

To do this on the iPad in CloudOn:
1. Hit the Action button on the Nav bar (the one with the arrow going out of the window). IMG_0348.PNG
2. Select the file and hit Copy icon on the bar.
3. Now navigate to the folder of your choice.
4. Hit the Action button again and hit Paste.

To do this on the iPhone in CloudOn:
1. Tap and Hold the file. Contextual menu pops up from below.
2. Tap the Copy icon.
3. Now navigate to the folder of your choice.
4. Hit the arrow near the folder name pointing downwards and hit the Paste button that pops up near the bottom of the screen. IMG_0523.PNG

IMG_0523.PNG

I can't figure
out a way to do that either within CloudOn or in the iOS version of Dropbox. I'd be happy to
use either iOS app if someone can explain how to do it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts