What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Use a VPN on iPad to connect to their computer(running Windows XP or Vista)

p_s_92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does one use a VPN on iPad to connect to their computer(running Windows XP or Vista) and access/edit documents on the Windows computer?
The likelihood of doing this is remote, but the user needs this facility in case something needs to be done at some point.

Looked at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1424
and Apple iPad Tablet: How to Setup iPad VPN

I know another option is VNC and the free Mocha VNC lite is an app which can aid you to connect to a Windows running computer. There also might be apps like logmein or gotomypc, but which are the commonly used ones?

1. Which(out of VPN or VNC) is better to use a iPad to connect to their computer(running Windows)?

2. Are there free apps for VPN?

3. The user also wants to be able to write on it using the stylus pen(as if he was writing on a paper), then save his notes, use an application to convert his handwritten notes to regular text(which then can be edited, searched for terms etc). I know you can write using a BoxWave Capacitive iPad Stylus but which app can do proper recognition of cursive hand writing. I know myscript and ritescript are two apps. But. are there other apps which are suited for this task?

Last edited:

Xfree143

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you find the answers to your questions yet? I current connect to our work server to use a virtual desktop but I also connect to my home PCs. There are several apps to do this, you could also use dropbox so docs are accessible from anywhere. There is also an app to write on the iPad.

OP
P

p_s_92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you find the answers to your questions yet? I current connect to our work server to use a virtual desktop but I also connect to my home PCs. There are several apps to do this, you could also use dropbox so docs are accessible from anywhere. There is also an app to write on the iPad.

Not yet, which app would recognize cursive handwritten notes and be able to convert them to text which can be edited/searched on a regular computer?

Which app is suitable for connecting to Windows PC's? Logmein or someother?

Thanks for responding.

OP
P

p_s_92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, which app would recognize cursive handwritten notes and be able to convert them to text which can be edited/searched on a regular computer?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How does one use a VPN on iPad to connect to their computer(running Windows XP or Vista) and access/edit documents on the Windows computer?
The likelihood of doing this is remote, but the user needs this facility in case something needs to be done at some point.

Looked at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1424
and Apple iPad Tablet: How to Setup iPad VPN

I know another option is VNC and the free Mocha VNC lite is an app which can aid you to connect to a Windows running computer. There also might be apps like logmein or gotomypc, but which are the commonly used ones?

1. Which(out of VPN or VNC) is better to use a iPad to connect to their computer(running Windows)?

2. Are there free apps for VPN?

3. The user also wants to be able to write on it using the stylus pen(as if he was writing on a paper), then save his notes, use an application to convert his handwritten notes to regular text(which then can be edited, searched for terms etc). I know you can write using a BoxWave Capacitive iPad Stylus but which app can do proper recognition of cursive hand writing. I know myscript and ritescript are two apps. But. are there other apps which are suited for this task?

1. Splashtop - as long as you have a gmail address...you can find your pc from ANYWHERE. There is a free version with limited viewing time to give a try.
2. Refer to #1
3. Writepad? A lil pricey though...

OP
P

p_s_92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1. Splashtop - as long as you have a gmail address...you can find your pc from ANYWHERE. There is a free version with limited viewing time to give a try.

Thanks, saw the link at Splashtop Inc. - ipad Does it allow only browsing via your computer browser or allow you to open documents, edit them from iPad. I know a better app would be a VNC or remote desktop one since the needs are like that.

You mean this WritePad for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store which is 3.99 or some other Writepad app?

Thanks for your advice and time.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
p_s_92 said:
Thanks, saw the link at Splashtop Inc. - ipad Does it allow only browsing via your computer browser or allow you to open documents, edit them from iPad. I know a better app would be a VNC or remote desktop one since the needs are like that.
Splashtop+dropbox= will do what you want. Yes you can edit documents on the pc as if you were sitting righ there in front of it. In conjunction with dropbox, you can drag the document on pc to your dropbox folder and walaa...now appears in your dropbox app on ipad.....and vice versa....very conveeeeeeeeenient.

You mean this WritePad for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store which is 3.99 or some other Writepad app?

Thanks for your advice and time.
See your other thread pertaining to this.

OP
P

p_s_92

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashtop+dropbox= will do what you want. Yes you can edit documents on the pc as if you were sitting righ there in front of it. In conjunction with dropbox, you can drag the document on pc to your dropbox folder and walaa...now appears in your dropbox app on ipad.....and vice versa....very conveeeeeeeeenient.

Thanks, your responses are very useful.

codyppc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use logmein. Have used it on blackberry, android as well. Works very good for I do.

CyberPrince

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2. Refer to #1

WoW it's useful! thanks :p

elcaito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
logmein is not VPN

Logmein is not VPN. It requires a client program to be installed on the remote PC. Useless really for VPN

Most reactions

Latest posts