What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade iPad 2 to ios 5.1.1 problem

khmerguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I've tried to upgrade my iPad 2 version 4.3.3 to 5.1.1 with ios file that I've downloaded manually but I got error. Could someone help me to solve this problem?

Thanks

Attachments

• ipaderror.jpg
    ipaderror.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 769

rlapoint

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try this: upgrade the software with your iPad plugged in and connected to wifi. Go to settings and select software update. Follow the prompts.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've tried to upgrade my iPad 2 version 4.3.3 to 5.1.1 with ios file that I've downloaded manually but I got error. Could someone help me to solve this problem?

Thanks

The problem, unfortunately, is that you are trying to upgrade to an iOS version that is no longer being "signed" (read: approved) by Apple to run on the iPad2. The most current version is iOS 6 and that is the only version you can update/upgrade to.

Sorry.

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. To start, you can't upgrade the iOS unless you ARE connected to the Internet. Even when you are upgrading a signed iOS, iTunes (or your iPad, if you are doing it OTA) will connect to Apple servers. That is how it works (and how Apple can control which iOS is approved to install).

You are in a Catch-22: The restore/update must connect to the Internet to "get approval" to install the iOS. But, when iTunes connects to get permission to install iOS 5.1.1 - Apple rejects the request because it is not approved.

That is why trying to install iOS 5.1.1 won't work any longer - whether you are connected to the Internet or not.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts