What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update to iOs5.1 from iOs4.3.5 -how long?

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I urgently need to update from iOs4.3.5 to iOs5.1 today as I am going away at the weekend and there's an app I need which is iOs5.1 only. I don't want to brick my iPad though and will have to leave it if it's going to take too long. I will need to update iTunes to 10.6 manually as it always fails otherwise, then backup, update and restore.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how long this should take - 2 hours, 10, 24? If it's going to take too long I'll have to leave it as I'd rather have it as it is than not at all. Thanks for any help.

OP
P

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've gone ahead and updated to 10.6 and backed up. I hit the update buttona dn it did the backup. I went away for a bit and came back to see it saying "Preparing iPad for restore at the top" but also a message saying "You have changed the settings for the ipad "Pinmaac's iPad. Would you like to apply these changes?" I had this message while I was trying to do a manual backup and said yes and it synced all the apps across to my ipad, even the ones I didn't want on it so I'm not keen to do that again unless there's a good reason. It does seem to be hanging waiting for a reply though.

Also why is it trying to restore? It's only been about 20 mins since I started the update so I assume that it hasn't yet upgraded to 5.1?

Really grateful for any help please.

OP
P

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bit the bullet and decided to stop being a wuss. All installed fine and iOs5.1 up and running. Took about 2 hours but that included 20 mins while I dithered over whether to reply yes to the message. All appears OK with all apps, app data etc restored.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A happy ending.

Because the initial 5.0 update requires a full wipe and restore, it is hard to predict how long it will take. Depends a lot on how much stuff you have on the iPad. 2 hours isn't bad. I'm pretty sure mine took twice that long.

Most reactions

Latest posts