What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to upload PDF

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just come across what I believe to be a flaw in the iPad OS? I've been unable to upload a PDF from my iPad. I'm lead to believe it can be done if you buy the iCab browser app but it's not been confirmed. Anyone know anything about this oversight or am I missing something?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've just come across what I believe to be a flaw in the iPad OS? I've been unable to upload a PDF from my iPad. I'm lead to believe it can be done if you buy the iCab browser app but it's not been confirmed. Anyone know anything about this oversight or am I missing something?

Hi Willster - just a few questions: 1) Where are you trying to upload the PDF - I'm assuming to a computer (if so what type, i.e. PC or Mac); 2) Where is the PDF file on your iPad - my PDFs are either in iBooks or in GoodReader; and 3) How are you trying to upload the file?

There are numerous ways to transfer files from an iPad to a computer (making that assumption?), but just as an example, the pic below is from my GoodReader app on my iPad; I've checked a PDF file and selected the 'Open in...' option which opens the dialog box shown - choices there include AirDrop, iCloud Drive, Dropbox and others; just above, other choices include Email, Move, and Copy - let me stop there for you to respond - but other wireless and cabled options exist. Dave :)
IMG_8240.PNG

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The PDF is in iBooks and I wanted to upload it to a PDF hosting site. When you try to upload it the only source options that appear on the iPad are "camera" and "photos". I had to upload it from the iMac in the end. Surely Apple just need to enable iBooks as a source?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The PDF is in iBooks and I wanted to upload it to a PDF hosting site. When you try to upload it the only source options that appear on the iPad are "camera" and "photos". I had to upload it from the iMac in the end. Surely Apple just need to enable iBooks as a source?

Thanks for the information - different from what I thought (assumed a computer), but agree w/ Jupiter that the limitations in iBooks allows just the few options given in the previous post. Can you provide the name of the PDF hosting site and/or what the site accepts regarding sources of the PDFs sent to them? For example, is Dropbox an option? If so, as I showed in my GoodReader screen capture, a PDF in that app can be transferred to Dropbox, then if your hosting site has a Dropbox option, an easy solution. Dave :)

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The hosting site is PDFsr I think. I hasten to add I'm not the only one having this problem given the number of hits I got on a search.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The hosting site is PDFsr I think. I hasten to add I'm not the only one having this problem given the number of hits I got on a search.

Well, I googled 'PDFsr' and the first hit took me to the site below (first pic) on my MBAir - then chose to upload a file and selected the PDF shown which was uploaded successfully (did not sign up for the service). I then went to my iPad Air 2 -> Safari -> PDFSR website and selected 'Choose' (2nd pic), which gave me the dialog box in the third image - not much to pick except iCloud; so hit 'More ...' which provided additional options, including Dropbox & GoogleDrive; FileBrowser is an app available in the App Store; AirStash is an external device w/ a SD card - establishes a personal Wi-Fi network and w/ an app on the iPad can transfer files.

So, if you use iCloud, Dropbox or GoogleDrive, give one or more a try; you could DL FileBrowser and see how that works - of course, you still need to get your PDFs out of iBooks to one of these 'other' locations - email is one consideration. Dave :)
PDF1.png
PDF2.PNG
PDF3.PNG
PDF4.PNG

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't use iCloud or Dropbox so I don't get those options.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't use iCloud or Dropbox so I don't get those options.

Well, if you want to use the PDFsr website, then you will need to select one or more of their options to upload files from your iPad (or, of course you could put the PDFs on your computer and upload easily from there).

Just one more example - the Dropbox app is free and 2 GB of 'free storage' is offered by the service (more can be purchased, if needed) - Dropbox is extremely easy to use, just need to get your PDF files there. In the 4 screen captures below from my iPad, I first linked Dropbox & FileBrowser to the PDFsr site - then opened Dropbox, picked a file, and easily uploaded it to the website - worked easily (added text is self-explanatory). Dave :)
PDF1.PNG
PDF2.PNG
PDF3.PNG
PDF4.PNG

OP
Willster

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for that. For the time being I'll just upload from the Mac.

Most reactions

Latest posts