What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to mail to trash

vmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am suddenly unable to move Mail to trash. When I use trash can to try, then gives above message. I was finally able to get mail out of in box by using the move button, so now have trash in the final last tier of folders TRASH. But now it never leaves there. Hope someone can help me out thanks

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could try force quitting the Mail App. Double tap the home button to reveal the background Apps and then swipe Mail upwards. If that doesn't help. You could try a hard reset. Hold the Home and Power buttons together until the Apple logo appears and then let go. The iPad will restart.
The other thing you could do is to switch your individual Mail accounts off and then after a pause, turn them back on again. Hope this helps.

OP
V

vmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for response. Unfortunately none solved my problem. Drat! Any other suggestions????

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have an IMAP account, trashing an email on one device will trash it on all devices using the same email account. Have you tried trashing the unwanted emails on another device?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have any of the accounts been perhaps configured to archive rather than trash mail? The actual trash can symbol would of course be different. My Gmail account has a Filing Cabinet icon and when tapped items are then consigned to All Mail, from whence they can be finally trashed.

OP
V

vmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have tried all suggestions except removing & setting account up again. I have some messages I want to keep and assume I would lose them when removing account? Any other ideas? Thank You

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That depends on your account and the settings of your account.

When you remove a Gmail account, e.g., and set it up again, the emails will be there again.

A suggestion, if it's a Gmail account:
Go to Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendar - Accounts, select the Gmail account, tap the email address and go to Advanced. Go to Incoming Settings, IMAP Path Prefix. Remove the slash, and add "INBOX". That done, tap Account at the top, then Done to save the setting.

Then try moving emails to trash. Hopefully it will work now.

Most reactions

Latest posts