What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two-step verification for Apple ID now requires app-specific passwords

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Below is the description email from apple. Can anyone explain what type of apps this willl affect? I have not noticed any changes. I have calandar apps and apps like Documnets and Evernote that i have not created app specific passwords and see no changes in how they work since this.

Thank you for using two-step verification to protect your Apple ID and the data you store with iCloud.
This is a reminder that starting tomorrow, app-specific passwords will be required to access your iCloud data using third party apps such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or other mail, contacts, and calendar apps.
If you are currently signed in to a third party app using your primary Apple ID password, you will be signed out automatically when this change takes effect. You will need to generate an app-specific password and sign in again.
To generate an app-specific password:
For complete instructions, read Using App-Specific Passwords. If you need additional help, visit Apple Support.
Apple Support

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need the app-specific password for apps that sign in to your iCloud/Apple ID. I suppose you don't use Evernote with your ID. That's why you don't need an app specific password.

As far as I understand, you'll need an app specific password for apps that have access to the Apple ID where you enabled two step verification.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So far, I've only seen this with Fantastical on my iMac.

I don't think we'll be seeing this with the iPad. Apps that use iCloud on the iPad don't need to authenticate directly with iCloud. They are already signed in through the iCloud settings.

At least that's what I'm expecting.

OP
Husq250

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. It seems I will not run into this then.

Most reactions

Latest posts