What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TuneIn Radio Pro questions

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone;
I have a few questions about the amazing 99¢ TuneIn Radio Pro app I just downloaded.

1. Does the device need to be plugged in to auto-record?
2. Does the app require an Internet connectin to play back recordings?
3. Does the app have to be open to record?

Cheers!
From the iPad of Goofy8275, iPadForums.net user

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've had it for ages, and those questions never occurred to me; probably because I don't take advance of the recoding capability.

Anyway, I'm running a quick test now; Recording a station without the iPad plugged in and playing in background.

I'm not sure what you mean by the auto-record features. I'll have to look for it after this test, because I don't want to interrupt it until a while after the screen has locked; at least 5 more minutes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok.

1) No. It works fine without being plugged in, at least until the battery quits.

2) No. I could play back recordings in Airplane mode (no internet). You do get a warning about not having wi-fi when opening the app.

3) No. It worked fine in the background. It does have to be playing of course, but I suppose you could just turn down the volume.

The only mention I could find of auto-record was to shut down recording after a set amount of time. I did not test this, but assume it will work plugged in or not. It is time to walk the dog, so I didn't search very hard, and may have missed something.

I love this app, btw. Even though I don't use the recorder, it offers a huge selection of stations for the times I get bored with my music library.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to add.. TuneIn has to be running.. Either activley on the display, or minimized to the background... You can push the standby button and shut off the display (so it's black) and TuneIn will still wake up and record whatever station you have selected at the proper time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. I went back and found the record option (tiny alarm clock icon). I'll run a few more tests, just because, but figure jwt873 already summed it up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I set up a record time shortly after my last post in this thread, then closed the app. It should have gone off about 10 minutes later. A few hours later I kind of noticed it had not happened, and figured I had my answer.

However, the next day, at precisely the set time, my iPad started playing the station and recording it. I'd opened and used several apps in the interim, but not restarted the iPad or cleared TuneIn from RAM.

So it appears as long as the app is still in RAM, it will work; providing you pay attention and get the date set right. ;)

With the iPad 3 and 4, an app will stay in RAM a long time unless you use a lot of other apps. The iPad 1 and 2, not so much.

Most reactions

Latest posts