What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to use wingdings in Numbers

Qpower

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a spreadsheet which was created in excell and some of the cells use wingdings to provide a tick or cross to say use or no a check list.

I would like to use the checklist in numbers and would like to have drop down box with a tick or cross in it, but I cant find a font that does it.

I have managed to do a drop down box for the cell but cant see to copy the cell to other cells, is this possible?

Cheers

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is a checkbox cell format in numbers, but assuming you don't want to use that:

Normally when you tap on a cell it will give you the copy paste options, but with a Pop-Up menu cell you'll get the menu choices this way (most of the time). In that case tap and hold for about a second and the the usual options will popup.

There is a wingding sort of font available, and you can change the font of a cell or cells by digging down through the cell formating optinos; however only the cell(s) are formatted. The menu items only display in the system font, which you can not change. Your best bet is to just use whatever symbols or letter approximations you can find on the standard keyboard.

Many of the Option symbols available on a physical keyboard will work on the iPad, even though you can't normally find them on the touch keyboard. If you make a list of symbols you like on the computer, mail them to yourself on the iPad, then copy them to Notes, you can copy and paste them where ever you need later.

Not a great solution, but doable.

I believe you'll find that a cross is Option t and a checkmark is option v.

------
Hmm. looks like I can add text attachments, and since I've already done this for myself I'll just include it for you. It's not very neat, but should do in a pinch.

Attachments

• Symbosl and Letters.txt
    509 bytes · Views: 397

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did a little experimenting while and after my post, just to make sure I wasn't blowing smoke. This is what I came up with.

SPCheckMarks.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just downloaded and tried Unicode Character Map. Much better solution than using a note. There is both a free and paid version.

Most reactions