What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

transferring files from Linux server

mark121

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am wrestling with an iPad that was given to me as a gift. All my computers at home run Linux, and I would like to, at the very least, copy files from one of my Linux boxes to the iPad for viewing photos/pdf files/videos. I can't use iTunes, but I have found a program that runs on linux that will emulate an iTunes server. The problem is that it will only work with an iPad that is directly connected to the linux box. I would like to use something like this over my Wifi connection.

So, any ideas on what it would take to b able to fire up my iPad, wirelessly connect to my linux server, and transfer files to the iPad to view later?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm a Linux user too.. I find Dropbox is the best way to quickly transfer files to the iPad.

I have Dropbox for Linux and Dropbox for iPad... If I have a photo/pdf/videofile on my Linux box that I want to see on my iPod, I just drop it in my Dropbox folder. It 'magically' appears in my iPad dropbox folder.. From there, I just save the file.

You can find the dropbox app for iPad in the App Store.. It's free!

nevius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try the "Goodreader" app. It has the ability to connect to local and remote servers and download files from them. It also has an integrated server so that you can mount the ipad as a webdav share (since it is in Apple's App Store you will only be able to browse the directories under the Goodreader directory). I think the app costs $0.99

dkazaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi mark

As a linux user you are probably more technically sophisticated (and demanding) than the average so you have some additional options open.

Basically the iPad does nothing in terms of file access and sharing out of the box (except via USB, which for a wi fi device is kinda "fail" right?).

However there are some OK apps for file sharing with different methods, and some more advanced options you can play with in conjunction on your linux box.

Most of the apps are httpd/WebDav or ftp/sftp clients. So if you set up apache on your machine, and point it to your home directory you will have access to all your files. If you enable WebDAV on it, you will be able to write back them too. This should have negligible performance impact on any reasonable PC from the last 2-3 years.

Now the apps: The best to consider are:

Air Sharing: Supports ftp, sftp, webdav, dropbox, idisk and all the other cloud storage types. However you can set up an ftp or WebDAV server on your linux bo and you're off. Speeds are so-so.

Filer: nice and simple, has an http client to download files (I think it also supports WebDav & dropbox). Fastest of the bunch.

FileBrowser: this is a SAMBA client, so the advantage is it finds windows shares as well or you can configure SMB on your linux systems. ITs a bit buggy, sometimes doesn't list diectory contents if there are many files in them and speeds vary between filetypes (!). It kind feels like a SAMBA implementation written as a school computing project but its OK.

I find Filer the easiest to use, air sharing the most complete. A lot of people use GoodReader - it's ok too but its noit a dedicated file sharing tool so its UI can be a bit awkward.

Basically you cannot avoid doing some extra config on your PCs, the trouble is the iPad wasn't made for people like us, but its still a nice device.

OP
M

mark121

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dkazaz:

Thanks for the info. I see that I will have to do a little tweaking on my server to make it accessible from the iPad. Your info will be a great help.

dkazaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to help.

As a linux user you may also want to consider jailbreaking the device to get access to the low level parts of iOS.

Its a toss-up if the extra functionality is worth the effort of jailbreaking, I've been happier since I did it because I now have access to the file system.

There's a nice jailbreak app called iFile which works kinda like a normal file explorer so you can copy/paste/move files between apps etc.

You can also have terminal, ssh etc (though ssh is not advisable).

Hope you have fun with it.

GSGeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!

I like both Linux (Ubuntu distro) and my new iPad 2. Although it feels more like a closed-box, consumer device that the ultimate geek-chic accessory, I think it has a lot of potential as a thin client 'terminal'.

I have spotted an X/Window terminal app on the App Store. I'd like to experiment remote access to my Linux box with the iPad so I can do sysadmin jobs or software development anywhere I like. No more hiding... and that is not what the iPad was designed for.

Jailbreaking? No thanks: it complicates iOS updates a bit. I'm not too found of that but that's just me...

Most reactions