What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfer purchased apps problem

RedAlert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right before I updated both my Ipad Air2 and Iphone 6 to io9 I did a back up of each and noticed none of my apps that I updated on on the devices transfered over to itunes (if I looked under the apps tab in itunes it still showed that I had apps to be updated). I tried using the transfer purchases option in the device menu, but it still would not work.
I then just updated the apps in itunes, completed the backups then upgraded both devices to ios9, which went without a hitch. Both devices work fine.
I downloaded another app today and wanted to do a sync, but yet again nothing on my devices will transfer over to itunes. I checked under the "purchased" section in itunes, and the new app doesnt show there either. Even doing a simple sync doesnt transfer anything from the device to itunes either.
Both of my devices and itunes are under the same id and the computer is authorized. I've tried signing out and in to the store on both devices and itunes, deauthorize and authorize the computer and nothing is working.
Anyone have an idea?

Just checking under my account info on itunes to see if something seems off, and it shows my last recorded purchase date was Sept. 16 2015. Which is definitely not the case. Is the app store jsut messed up up right now?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Your the first I've heard of with this problem. Which doesn't mean much since it's a Sunday, a slow news day.

Are you using he most recent version of iTunes?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I did some more research and apparently Apple has disabled the ability to transfer purchases to iTunes on your computer from iOS 9 devices.

Apple Developer Relations 18-Sep-2015 02:51 PM
This issue behaves as intended based on the following: Apps are no longer transferred from iOS 9 devices. We are now closing this bug report. If you have questions about the resolution, or if this is still a critical issue for you, then please update your bug report with that information.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. The explanation could be right, though it should be noted that moving to cloud based solutions is not the same as trying to get people to use more iCloud. After all, wether they wanted to or not, people are using exactly the same cloud storage of apps as they were before this change.

They just lost their local backup, sort of. You should still be able to download apps manually on iTunes. And the Application Library Update feature on iTunes still seems to work.

Come to think of it, if you enable Automatic Downloads for App in iTunes preferences, new apps should still get downloaded to iTunes whenever you start it up. (Not that I've tested this lately, but the settings are still there)

So the move is quite confusing and contradictory. Apps can still end up stored in iTunes, and updated in iTunes, just not transferred directly from your iOS device.

It's possible Apple is unsure of what they want to accomplish. We need to remember it's made of many departments, and they aren't always on the same page.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At this point all we can do is try to keep abreast of the situation and see what develops.

Most reactions

Latest posts