What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade ipad 2 for MacBook Air?

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pls do tell me your thoughts. I have an iPad 2 64GB 3G Model along with a 13" MacBook Pro setup. I am considering a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro 15". Kind of confused on which route to take here.. Help?

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since my bloody PC refuses to connect to the router presently, I would most definitly trade for an AirBook. But I would deeply regret it right away. I so love my iPad2. And it works flawless with the network too!

But, seriously, for me this is more a question of funds really. Had I the money I would, without hesitation, get an AirBook. But keep the iPad too...

//Stefan

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not clear whether you're talking about trading both for the MB Air, or just the iPad? I can see owning a 13" or 15" notebook and an iPad (and I do). To me, they don't overlap much at all. If you get down to an 11" Air, it gets closer, but at the end of the day the size, touchscreen and other attributes of the iPad (or any other good tablet, by the way) make it a fundamentally different tool than any notebook, even the small and feathery 11" Air. Everyone has different needs and preferences, though... :)

OP
iforsakenu

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks you both for y our responses. To justify my initial statement, I have a 13" MBP and a 64 GB 3G iPad 2. I was considering trading the iPad for a MacBook air and selling my 13" for another iPad probably wifi only. I didn't need 3G it's what I received as a bday gift. I'm just confused because I feel I was cheated out of my 13" specs as apple 32 days later put the i5/i7 and larger HDD in my same model. I don't want to part with my iPad at all, I guess I'm trying to find ways to have a flawless set up functionality wise for school, I'm a Computer Networking/IT major. Carrying a laptop becomes tedious however, this os where the Air would come into play and the iPad gets a point knocked off as it can't run VM's or I need to figure out splashtop to remote into my laptop from class from another network. I hope this didn't cause more confusion, my mind is just racing. Give me some thought on your use with your iPads. Thanks in advance:)

inmy328xi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would definitely keep the iPad simple because it's so easy to just grab and go and because of it's instantaneous interaction. Slide to unlock and within seconds your browsing safari.

airwake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had on older Core 2 Duo 15" Macbook Pro and an original iPad. One month after I bought my new 13" Macbook Air I sold my original iPad. They both got around 10 hours of battery life depending on what you were doing, they both almost weight the same, and I could do a hell of a lot more on my Air then the iPad. I recently picked up a 64gig wifi only iPad 2 and now I'm starting to wonder the same thing. I also have a custom built PC gaming rig that I only using to play games or encode movies for my Apple TV. So now I am trying to decide to either return the iPad 2, or sell my Macbook Air and use my tower as my main computer while at home.

OP
iforsakenu

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
airwake said:
I had on older Core 2 Duo 15" Macbook Pro and an original iPad. One month after I bought my new 13" Macbook Air I sold my original iPad. They both got around 10 hours of battery life depending on what you were doing, they both almost weight the same, and I could do a hell of a lot more on my Air then the iPad. I recently picked up a 64gig wifi only iPad 2 and now I'm starting to wonder the same thing. I also have a custom built PC gaming rig that I only using to play games or encode movies for my Apple TV. So now I am trying to decide to either return the iPad 2, or sell my Macbook Air and use my tower as my main computer while at home.

This is my dilemma lol. I am in your boat. However I am starting to love my iPad 2 more and more. I used it tonight in class as the new semester started and taking notes was a breeze and turned slot of heads:) as everyone else was jotting down on old notebooks and paper w pens getting cramps I was comfortably taking notes from my iPad. Neways once I configure the splashtop to my MacBook pro at home from an off network I'll feel alot better about the situation. Thanks for your response.

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 3rd gen 2.13ghz ssd MacBook air.
It's decent, and really light. A pleasure to travel with and type on your lap.
But if I could go back in time I would have bought a 13 inch mb pro instead.
The MacBook air needs to be well ventilated or it will overheat and performance can lag.
If I were you I'd keep the mac you have already and your iPad 2.
The keys don't light up on the new MBA's either, so it's not as fun to type in the dark!

OP
iforsakenu

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mikeos said:
I have a 3rd gen 2.13ghz ssd MacBook air.
It's decent, and really light. A pleasure to travel with and type on your lap.
But if I could go back in time I would have bought a 13 inch mb pro instead.
The MacBook air needs to be well ventilated or it will overheat and performance can lag.
If I were you I'd keep the mac you have already and your iPad 2.
The keys don't light up on the new MBA's either, so it's not as fun to type in the dark!

Agreed. Between checking it's out the past few days and hearing from everyone in thus thread I appreciate what the iPad can do and with the MacBook pro being my workhorse, even though it's only the 13":/

AdAbro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd go for the MacBook! Just cause the fact that the MacBook has more power and more freedom.

Most reactions

Latest posts