What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim Cook Issues Personal Apology for Apple Maps

susanlackey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Google didn't want to have a level playing field by allowing turn-by-turn direction on iOS. This is one of the main reasons I didn't use Google Maps. The other reason is because, up until very recently, all maps hads to be downloaded...if you ever get outside of cellular range, then you're dead (which actually happens to me in parts of the south east US. To me, these were two major problems with Google Maps. I even quit using it on Android, in favor of Navigon. Frankly, I think Apple did the right thing here. They also have committed themselves to find a better maps solution for iOS, one way or other. I'd rather have a real committment than an unfullfilled promise and a lousy mapping app.

I agree 100% and am confident we will see a lot of great improvements to the maps app from Apple over the next few months.

G

Grytpype

There is also the facility in Apple Maps to report errors... Maps can still become the product that Apple and users are looking for, and we can all help to make it work.
It doesn't look as if many people are going to bother to "help make it work." http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/apple-maps-usage-down-to-just-4-per-cent-1100766 An overwhelming 96% don't want it or have quite understandably given up on it and switched to a different map system.*

When the kiddies have become bored playing with the irrelevant and useless "flyover" gimmick, that 4% will probably halve again. *How many do you think will be left following the release of a Google Maps app?*

Last edited by a moderator:

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
I'm sure it will eventually be good, but for me it's gmail, mail, docs, maps etc all in one which i can access from home, work or on the go, i suppose having a data plan on the mobile also helps, link up with friends, family and co-workers etc so we know what each other are doing and when via the calendar, the simplicity of it helps

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
*How many do you think will be left following the release of a Google Maps app?*

If Google releases its own mapping option that has all features like it does on Android, then this will be a good thing. Why should Apple pay to license a half-done, crippled version of maps from Google? It makes no sense. Google can either develop an app for iOS or they can stand by and watch while they get some competition from a company that has more money than god. I wonder which option they will take?

G

Grytpype

@ KevinJS: Thank you for replacing the link you deleted from my post.

@ AQ_OC: Google Maps is working just fine on my iPad 3. I deliberately didn't update to iOS6 so that I wouldn't lose it. To call Google Maps "half-done and crippled" is ridiculous, especially when you compare it to the disastrous Apple version. It will take years to get Apple Maps right, however much money they throw at it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grytpype said:

@ AQ_OC: Google Maps is working just fine on my iPad 3. I deliberately didn't update to iOS6 so that I wouldn't lose it. To call Google Maps "half-done and crippled" is ridiculous, especially when you compare it to the disastrous Apple version. It will take years to get Apple Maps right, however much money they throw at it.

No problem. I assume you received my PMs explaining the decision first to edit the post, and later to reinstate the link?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

If it won't do turn by turn, as it will on android, it is indeed half done and crippled. Apple sought to improve it, google said no, and that is why we are here.

bj5485

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is also looking beyond Ipad 3 and whatever phone version they are up. Eventually, Apple was going to need to have it's own version and they chose now to come out with it. Unfortunately in this "I have to have it now" culture people don't want to wait for an app they already had and they don't care what the circumstances were that caused the change. Now granted I am new to Apple but instead of being pissed about the circumstance I am looking forward to "helping" the map app to improve and watching the whole process of it evolving into something great.

Most reactions