What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Useless Information" Thread

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I stole this idea from Poisonivy, who has a similar thread going on the iPhone Forum, so my thanks go to her for that.

Share what you please. It doesn't have to be earth shatteringly brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll start. Vowels.

As I just used the word in another thread, the word "facetious" is the shortest word in the English language to use all the vowels in order.

The shortest word to use all the vowels in any order is the French word "oiseau" meaning "bird".

Dutch isn't content with five vowels. The letters I and J, when printed together are considered to be one letter, IJ, and are both capitalized when starting a sentence or a proper noun, eg IJselmeer.

Welsh is the only language to use W as a vowel. As in the word "cwm"

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ozone, although made up entirely of oxygen atoms, is as poisonous as carbon monoxide.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ozone, although made up entirely of oxygen atoms, is as poisonous as carbon monoxide.

"There's a hole in the Ozone layer. We have Saran Wrap, duct tale and space shuttles.. fix it" - Lewis Black

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
...just as "no trans fat" doesn't mean no fat.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It takes 8 minutes for the light from the sun to reach the earth.

Seasons are caused by the tilt of the earth, not the distance from the sun. In fact, the earth is closer to the sun in winter (northern hemisphere)

Tides are caused by the gravity of the moon acting on the oceans. It is this tidal effect that has stopped the spin of the moon, and the reason one side always faces the earth.

The moon is receding from the earth. In a few thousand years it will no longer be capable of causing a total eclipse. All eclipses will be partial or annular.

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are only a few words that contain two letter "U"s in a row:

Continuum
Duumvir or duumvirate
Vacuum
Residuum
Muumuu

Let me know if you've heard of any others...I collect them! I know, need to get a life!

Most reactions

Latest posts