What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Olympic Torch Relay

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This thread is simple.

Have any of you witnessed the Olympic torch relay? Have you taken any photographs?

If so, then you are invited to post your photos here with a note as to the date and place. I'm sure this is something forum members will enjoy seeing.

If you witnessed the event, but didn't take photos, than a brief text account, naming who was the torch bearer and where the stage was would be great

This is not a competition, it's a simple record of an iconic event.

At present, the torch is going through South West England.

Thank you.

Last edited:

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't head up my end for another few weeks but I'll be there taking photos no doubt.
I'll probably be focusing more on the spectators though, as I'm mainly interested in street photography, but you never know.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mikeos said:
It doesn't head up my end for another few weeks but I'll be there taking photos no doubt.
I'll probably be focusing more on the spectators though, as I'm mainly interested in street photography, but you never know.

Hi Mikeos. Welcome to this thread.

BTW, Chris Bonnington carried the torch to the top of Snowden a couple of days ago. (29th May?) A very fitting leg of it's journey.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Let's keep this thread going. Hopefully an Olympics thread will start nearer the time of the big event.

Yesterday there was a photo of the Olympic flame. It had taken on the shape of an athlete. The paper somehow found the shape similar to the 2012 symbol.

Ldsdad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My brother-in-law got to run the torch the year the Olympics were in Salt Lake City; I'll see if I can get some photos - heck, he's an iPad affecionado himself; maybe I'll get him to post them himself.
I never did find out how he received that honor; he's not (how do I put this...) exactly the "ideal" specimen for physical fitness...

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ldsdad said:
My brother-in-law got to run the torch the year the Olympics were in Salt Lake City; I'll see if I can get some photos - heck, he's an iPad affecionado himself; maybe I'll get him to post them himself.
I never did find out how he received that honor; he's not (how do I put this...) exactly the "ideal" specimen for physical fitness...

Hi Ldsdad, yes please the pictures and story would be great.

A number of those taking part in the UK relay are not physically fit. Some walk with the torch. Torch bearers were nominated for contributions made to society, as well as local sporting personalities.

It's sad to see torches and the bearers kit being auctioned on EBay. Some need the money. However a number put the funds to charity which is good.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sorry that this thread hasn't really caught on.

The torch has been carried by some truly inspirational people. A photograph, or if no photo a written note, about the different stages of the relay would have been super. After all history is being made here.

In today's papers, there is the story of Ben Parkinson, a most severely injured soldier, who discarded his crutches and covered his 300m section of the relay on prosthetic legs.

This was in Doncaster on Tuesday 26th June. 31 days before the Olympic Opening ceremony.

OP
Richard Brown

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last week, there were photos of the torch relay continuing through very heavy rain and stormy weather. I wonder whether the flame stayed lit.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last week, there were photos of the torch relay continuing through very heavy rain and stormy weather. I wonder whether the flame stayed lit.

From this site, Olympic Flame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :

Re-igniting the Flame

It is not uncommon for the Olympic flame to be accidentally or deliberately extinguished during the course of the relay, and on at least one occasion the cauldron itself has gone out during the Games. To guard against this eventuality, multiple copies of the flame are transported with the relay or maintained in backup locations. When a torch goes out, it is re-lit (or another torch is lit) from one of the backup sources. Thus, the fires contained in the torches and Olympic cauldrons all trace a common lineage back to the same Olympia lighting ceremony.
One of the more memorable extinguishings occurred at the 1976 Summer Olympics held in Montreal, Canada. After a rainstorm doused the Olympic flame a few days after the games had opened, an official re-lit the flame using his cigarette lighter. Organizers quickly doused it again and relit it using a backup of the original flame.
At the 2004 Summer Olympics, when the Olympic flame came to the Panathinaiko Stadium to start the global torch relay, the night was very windy and the torch, lit by the Athens 2004 Organizing Committee Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki, blew out due to the wind, but was re-lit from the backup flame taken from the original ceremonial flame at Olympia.
In 2008 the Olympic torch was extinguished at least two times by Chinese officials (five times according to French police) so that it could be transported in a bus amid protests while it was being paraded through Paris. This eventually led to the cancellation of the relay's last leg in the city. The flame itself, however, remained preserved in the back-up lantern used to keep it overnight and on airplanes, and the torch was relighted using this.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
I was in Calgary for the 88 Olympic Winter Games. The arrival of the torch was the event high for me.
AA

I didn't get to see the torch,but I did watch the arrival of the Royal Yacht Brittannia.
I was part of the Regatta Rescue Force for the 1976 Montreal Olympics yachting events in Kingston,Ontario. I got to see some of the races from inside the security zone.
Being as this was only 4 years after the murders at the Munich Olympics,we also had to stand armed guard duty in the rescue force boatyard.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts