What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The History of the Tablet Computer

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The History of the Tablet Computer - it goes back further than you think!

While some may argue that tablet computers have been around as early as those introduced in the early 2000's, or even with Apple's own Newton (1987-1998), the idea of a tablet style computer actually goes all the way back to the 1800's. The first patent for an electronic tablet used for handwriting was granted in 1888, though it was an article written by Alan Kay in the early 1970's that best conceptualized what a tablet computer was to become.

Dynabook.png

The DynaBook - conceptualised by Alan Kay in the late 1960s and early 1970s in his article "A Personal Computer for Children of All Ages"

The DynaBook was to be a tablet-style computer aimed at learning and gathering information. Kay envisioned that DynaBooks could connect wirelessly to centralised information storages, and could "abstract" information from those storages. It was about the size of a notepad, with a hardware keyboard at the bottom, and a screen at the top (using "liquid crystal", a brand-new technology back then). It could also play audio files, record voice memos, and much, much more.

So far, it sounds like a tablet, but you are all wondering where the stylus comes in. Apart from printing the word "stylus" in one the illustrations, there's no further mention of it in the article. In fact Kay takes it all a few steps further: he basically describes a multitouch display. In 1972. That's almost 40 years ago.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now why, would you ask, have they not made any tablets before? Probably because one selfish :*************: took a patent on it with absolutely no intent on building one. Thank this guy for slowing down progress!...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol was the technology.
12"x9"x36" , weighing 3 stone with a battery life of 45 minutes. Each connection hand soldered and two children needed to carry one.......

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:
Lol was the technology.
12"x9"x36" , weighing 3 stone with a battery life of 45 minutes. Each connection hand soldered and two children needed to carry one.......

As portable as the first Mac!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now why, would you ask, have they not made any tablets before? Probably because one selfish :*************: took a patent on it with absolutely no intent on building one. Thank this guy for slowing down progress!...

selfish what?? Is that supposed to be an expletive or someones name?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Québécois are known for their rosaries of curses and so are Caribbean pirates but I'm in the icebox.:p

mlgb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have better website, I only know espow because often buy. The other? Who has a good one web site to recommend to me? I recently want to buy an android tablet PC, I hope can bring me more entertainment.

Most reactions

Latest posts