What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Daily to Start Charging for Subscription in the US Next Week, and to Launch in Eu

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHILJBw-104[/ame]​

The UK’s Telegraph newspaper reports today that News Corps’ The Daily iPad newspaper app will start charging for subscriptions in the US from next week. The announcement was made by Jonathan Miller, chief digital officer at News Corp, who was speaking at the Abu Dhabi Media Summit.

“We have our beginning moment of truth next week when we start to ask people to get out their wallets,†he told the summit, revealing that the subscription will cost $39.99 a year, and that the app is aimed at a younger audience than traditional newspapers.

“So we want to make a product that has broad appeal and that means it has liveliness to it, it’s very graphic and is very pictorial - a lot of video on it, all media in the same place. It is skewing much younger than newspapers,†said Miller.

Miller also took the opportunity to announce that The Daily will be launched in Western Europe in the first half of 2011 (i.e. soon!), depending on where and when Apple rolls out its subscription model.

Source: The Daily: Rupert Murdoch's iPad newspaper to launch in UK by June 2011 - Telegraph

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish them luck. But as for me, looks like I will be deleting The Daily. The content was not bad but not much different than a a dozen other offerings for iPad that are free. But worse was the interaction with the app. I was never able to like it, and can't imagine paying for it. Granted it was like flipping through a magazine from beginning to end--at least how I ended up reading it. But I want new media to go beyond that.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts