What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Text editor: Pages, my first impressions

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I just bought the app Pages, the office document editor from Apple. It took me a while to figure out which one to buy since there is also Documents 2 Go, Office2 HD to name a few...

Finally, I decided to go with apple products because... Because... They surely know how to make an app for the iPad. I know, it's not the best reason, but I could not decide which one to buy.

Anyway, I have to say that I needed something to write documents with formatting involved, and being able to export those in PDF eventually. Basically, I will use my iPad as a report writing machine.

What a nice app. Well worth the 10$ for it. I's easy to use, has a lot of options, can export in words and PDF format... Just what I needed. When doing business with a customer, on the way home in the train, I usually opened my laptop, which is a bit heavy, and started to write my reports or analysis. Keeping around that big heavy laptop was often a pain with all the luggages and bags so I was looking at another solution for helping me out while on the road. And there I have it now, iPad and Pages will just be fine for my professional use and also personal use.

The interface is quite nice to work with, and the PDF output is just great. Documents can have tables, graphics, images, multiple styles, all that is needed to write a 10-20 pages reports.

Only downside is the document management inside Pages where you cannot have folders or categories to organize your documents by customer for example.

VicoPad addict!

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used PAGES first on my desktop and laptop. Love it! I was delighted to be able to also have it on the pad. If your larger machine(s) are Apple I suggest you get the whole iWork program for them. This will give you a lot of flexibility.

jc67989

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DrHouse said:
I just bought the app Pages, the office document editor from Apple. It took me a while to figure out which one to buy since there is also Documents 2 Go, Office2 HD to name a few...

Finally, I decided to go with apple products because... Because... They surely know how to make an app for the iPad. I know, it's not the best reason, but I could not decide which one to buy.

Anyway, I have to say that I needed something to write documents with formatting involved, and being able to export those in PDF eventually. Basically, I will use my iPad as a report writing machine.

What a nice app. Well worth the 10$ for it. I's easy to use, has a lot of options, can export in words and PDF format... Just what I needed. When doing business with a customer, on the way home in the train, I usually opened my laptop, which is a bit heavy, and started to write my reports or analysis. Keeping around that big heavy laptop was often a pain with all the luggages and bags so I was looking at another solution for helping me out while on the road. And there I have it now, iPad and Pages will just be fine for my professional use and also personal use.

The interface is quite nice to work with, and the PDF output is just great. Documents can have tables, graphics, images, multiple styles, all that is needed to write a 10-20 pages reports.

Only downside is the document management inside Pages where you cannot have folders or categories to organize your documents by customer for example.

VicoPad addict!

DrHouse I am also loving Pages.... I hadn't even planned on getting a word processor for iPad, because I thought I would miss the keyboard too much. Turns out it is way more comfortable and convenient than I originally thought. Also, yesterday I figured out how to group docs into folders. Just hold your finger on the doc like it was an app you are trying to get rid of, and they will start shaking. Then you can drag them on top of each other just like the home screen icons..

Kez

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Re pages etc
Can docs created in these apps be sent elsewhere and opened in MS word, excel etc and vice versa?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it OK to ask you guys a question about Pages, or indeed any App that does a similar sort of job?
Can you use the Dragon dictation App to create a document and then transfer the document to Pages?
Cheers,
Steve

Absolutely no problem - just cut-and-paste the text from Dragon Dictation straight into your Pages document.

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Re pages etc
Can docs created in these apps be sent elsewhere and opened in MS word, excel etc and vice versa?

One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts