What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tethering

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need help on how to Tether a Smartphone Win 7 to my iPad in order to use the data plan 3G,that way I will not have to buy two plans.
Thanks for any help.

Al.

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Al Rogers said:
Need help on how to Tether a Smartphone Win 7 to my iPad in order to use the data plan 3G,that way I will not have to buy two plans.
Thanks for any help.

Al.

Windows phone 7 doesn't support tethering natively although people have discovered hacks to enable USB tethering (which unfortunately won't help you with the iPad). You may want search the web or post this question in a windows phone 7 forum since, this isn't really iPad related.

Last edited:

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you're an iPad master I assume you know the 2 different ways to connect to a network so, What you are really need to find out is "How can I enable WiFi tethering on my WP7!". The short answer is "You can't.

OP
A

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you're an iPad master I assume you know the 2 different ways to connect to a network so, What you are really need to find out is "How can I enable WiFi tethering on my WP7!". The short answer is "You can't.

I was hoping to use the 3G network data plan not Wi-Fi,some people say it can be done if you download a certain software and that is what I was looking for help on.

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes... you can if you have a 3G enabled iPad. If not, you're limited to Wifi on the iPad.

The people that are tethering their smartphones to their iPad have a mobile OS that supports Wifi tethering like Apple iOS, Android, Symbian, Palm WebOS, Blackberry or Windows Mobile 6.5. Windows phone 7 is the only mobile OS that I know of that does NOT support tethering of any kind natively.

How long have you had your WP7? If you can still return it, you may want to consider it if you had planned on using your phone's data plan to tether to your iPad.

OP
A

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had the phone for two weeks,I have the 3G ipad and I was just trying to cut back on the 3G plans when I travel to Europe in June,it means I have to purchase two International plans,it wont break the bank but was trying to see if it could be done. Thanks for your help.

Al.

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Al Rogers said:
I have had the phone for two weeks,I have the 3G ipad and I was just trying to cut back on the 3G plans when I travel to Europe in June,it means I have to purchase two International plans,it wont break the bank but was trying to see if it could be done. Thanks for your help.

Al.

Got it! Yeah... It's unfortunate that MS didn't include that feature, I like the OS but. It seems to be missing a few features.

BeauB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theclip.com
T-Mob and tethering

Using the WIFI hotspot in my T-Mob android 3G phone, I can connect the iPad to the net via my phone. This is handy when there is no WIFI. The best part? No AT&T or Verizon. It gives me pretty decent speed too.

Khuran2mk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BeauB said:
Using the WIFI hotspot in my T-Mob android 3G phone, I can connect the iPad to the net via my phone. This is handy when there is no WIFI. The best part? No AT&T or Verizon. It gives me pretty decent speed too.

I am traveling internationally now. I have a 3G phone too. How are you connecting iPad to the phone? I have iPad1.

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am traveling internationally now. I have a 3G phone too. How are you connecting iPad to the phone? I have iPad1.

I haven't tried on the IPAD 1, but it worth trying it. You will need a phone that supports Tethering (via BT or USB or personal hot spot). For Bluetooth method, I am using Samsung Galaxy S2, and iPad mini and I do the following steps:

1. turn on bluetooth the phone
2. enable tethering (choose the method, in this case bluetooth) if you do not enable this step the 2 devices will not pair.
3. turn bluetooth on the ipad
4. scan for your phone and pair the 2 devices.
5. from now on the ipad will connect to the internet Using whatever the phone is using, be it wifi or 3G.

I do this daily at work.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts