What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tethering iPhone 4 to iPad 2

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there any information on how to tether data from my unlimited iPhone 4 to my iPad 2? Currently I have two separate plans. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming you have a Verizon iPhone you should be able to activate tethering by contacting VZW and paying a $20 per month
tethering charge. Then just deactivate the data plan for your iPad. If you're asking how to tether without paying for it, that's another question.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Assuming you have a Verizon iPhone you should be able to activate tethering by contacting VZW and paying a $20 per month
tethering charge. Then just deactivate the data plan for your iPad. If you're asking how to tether without paying for it, that's another question.

Thank you for your response. No if I did it illegally I would probably get caught then have to pay a fortune. ;)

cyclopsed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tether a Verizon iPhone 4S to an AT&T iPad2? I have unlimited data on my phone. I just upgraded from a 3GS. Bluetooth and wifi went out on my old phone about a year and a half ago so I never tried it with my pad. I started to try it last night, but got a message that I needed to talk to customer service to help me... I'd prefer to know what's what before I talk to the big blue Mamma. ;)
Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll need to contact Verizon to activate the tether function on your phone. It'll be more money (of course), but that's all you can do.

And, as far as I know, the iPad doesn't care where it gets WiFi signal from, be it a phone, computer or modem/router. It'll just find the signal and request access (if password protected). So, it doesn't matter if the phone is Verizon and the iPad [was] AT&T.

If your iPad is 3G and you currently have an active plan running, just cancel it (via the iPad, online or by calling AT&T <---which is the last option should the first two don't work out). The AT&T plan for the iPad is a 30-day plan that you can cancel at any time without penalty. Once cancelled, the time that you've paid for will still be there until the 30 days is up. Then, it won't renew. Of course, if you haven't activated the 3G (or it's WiFi only iPad), then there is nothing you need to do. The iPad will find the signal put out by the phone...

The key is that you must initiate the cancelling of the iPad plan. It'll automatically renew until/unless you cancel it.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Last edited:

tkfini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any information on how to tether data from my unlimited iPhone 4 to my iPad 2? Currently I have two separate plans. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for your help.

But how?

tkfini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How can I send Bluetooth ?!!

How I can use Bluetooth of IPad to g4i phone I even use Bluetooth program but no use!!

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:

I did it!!! I will be officially tethering my iPad to my iPhone at my next billing cycle. YAY!!! I also got rid of my unlimited texting and now have only 1,000 texts per month for 10.00 since most of my friends and family are on IOS5 now and some are on VZW. I would have gotten the 500 texts per month plan for 5.00 if it were still available.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

Most reactions