What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tether vs Mifi vs iPad 3G

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 wifi only. My job does not have wifi (really old hospital) and my AT&T iPhone 4 gets no service in my office. I figured that if my phone couldn't get a 3G signal then neither could a iPad 3G.

However, I'd like to be able to use my iPad in non-wifi environments. So a few questions:

1) Was my assumption that no signal on my 3G cell phone means no signal on a 3G ipad correct?

2) Would a mifi mobile hotspot solve the problem?

3) Would tethering to my iPhone 4 solve the problem?

4) Some of the mobile hotspots have 3G or 4G in the specs. Does this mean that they can operate on 3G and wifi? or that they somehow convert the 3G signal into wifi?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1) Yes. If your carrier on the iPad is the same as the phones, then it's unlikely to work any better than the phone in the same location. A Verizon iPad might work, but I'd ask around and see if anyone else is getting Verizon 3G on their phones before buying.

2) See above. If you choose a different carrier maybe, be sure to test 3G availably in that spot before being the device.

3) Tethering only shares the 3G connection with the iPad. If the phone has no 3G, then it has nothing to share.

4) 4G is a faster version of 3G. Check to see if 4G is available in your area, I'd still try and get a device to test the signal before spending money.

OP
jasmynsway

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I ended up going with another provider with no contract. It works great.

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds as though he may have gone with Virgin Mobile, as I did. I use an Optimus V phone, which can be used as a hotspot without being rooted. $25 a month, no contract. 300 minutes, unlimited 3G data, unlimited texts. You do get throttled after 10gb but few people could use that much data in a month.

OP
jasmynsway

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went with t-mobile but did something similar. I got the 4G no contract mobile hotspot. I didn't want to pay for data twice so I got a pay-as-you-go phone too. Both work really well in my area. I'm glad to say goodbye to cell phone contracts.

I thought I'd miss my AT&T iPhone but I have an iPad so I'm good.

Most reactions

Latest posts