What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing Ipad with Computer

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recently had to restore my computer back to my last saving (6 months ago) with Acronis True Image.
Now when I open iTunes I see that a ton of my books are not there anymore.
My question is - If I hook up my ipad to the restored computer, will the ipad delete all the books that are not on itunes.
In other words - will the ipad sync to what is on itunes, and I will loose most of my books that I now have on my ipad.
Or will the computer sync to what's on the ipad, and itunes will once again be populated with all the books that I presently have on my ipad.
I hope i'm explaining myself properly.
My wife is asking for more books but I'm afraid to loose what I already have on the ipad.
Thank you guys

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and plugged my ipad into the computer and itunes did sync with the ipad. I lost 90% of my books - my wife is not to happy...
I'm writing this in case someone else has the same problem as I did (restoring the computer to an earlier date)
There must be a way to save all your stuff (books) so a person does not have to loose everything.
I don't know what I should have done to prevent this loss.
My wife's not happy that I lost most of her books.
I need to find the solution to this for future situations

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When syncing with iTunes on your computer, did you not see the pop up message that stated that there were items on your iPad that were not in your iTunes library, then gave you the opportunity to transfer those items to your computer? If you saw this and didn't agree to the transfer, the items would be erased from your iPad, just like what happened to your iPad.

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can honestly say "I did not see that"
I must also say, that I did see that window pop up on numerous occasions before I restored my computer.
This time though my wife and I did it together because I was concerned that I may loose the books and she didn't see no such message
Anyway it seems like I have a lot (a lot) of work ahead of me
I do thank you for the post though

Sun King

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do not know if this would work.

From the iTunes file menu , devices ,transfer purchases.

Will this bring back previous purchases ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do not know if this would work.

From the iTunes file menu , devices ,transfer purchases.

Will this bring back previous purchases ?

If the items exist only on the iPad and were erased, there is no way to get them back. The iPad does not have the PC equivalent of the trash bin, where you can go to recover recently deleted items.

Sun King

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok sorry , how about

on the ipad go to ibooks , store , bottom of screen ...purchased.

if a book is on your ipad it will show dowloaded.

if a book has been deleated it will show a down arrow , allowing you to down load it again.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ok sorry , how about

if a book has been deleated it will show a down arrow , allowing you to down load it again.

Yeah, that's how it should work.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok sorry , how about

While that would certainly work for iBooks purchased through iTunes, if the books were added to iBooks from another source, they would not show on the purchased list.

OP
mwhoody

mwhoody

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a question... Is it possible to save or (export) the ebooks that are on iTunes. If that were possible, a person can (and should) save it every so often for cases like this or something similar.
Save (or export), and then Import the books back into itunes.
Yes, the books that I was referring to were from another source (not purchased)
Thanks for all the time and effort that you guys have put into this post - much appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts