What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing contacts to Google without iTunes?

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to sync the contacts to my Google account without using iTunes? There are many times, for instance with my phone, that I am nowhere near my home computer for several days and need the syncing to be done through the internet, like the way my Android phone syncs my Google contacts. It wouldn't be a problem, but I have to have the contacts showing up on both the iPad and the Google site so someone else can see them as I enter them in on the iPad.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to sync the contacts to my Google account without using iTunes? There are many times, for instance with my phone, that I am nowhere near my home computer for several days and need the syncing to be done through the internet, like the way my Android phone syncs my Google contacts. It wouldn't be a problem, but I have to have the contacts showing up on both the iPad and the Google site so someone else can see them as I enter them in on the iPad.

Apple does nothing through the "cloud" at this point. They will have to change this to remain competitive with Android, hopefully this year.

bcurtiss433

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set my gmail account up on my Ipad as an exchange account, once set up I selected for it to only sync my google contacts as I do not use Google for email, and it keeps live time sync of my contacts between my Ipad and Android phone. This is very helpful if needing to send an email from my Ipad, then all my contacts are the same on all of my devices since I have it set up to also sync with my Outlook on my laptop.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like he said, set up Gmail exchange account and you can sync over wifi, or mobile network. Works perfect for me.

RoadPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like he said, set up Gmail exchange account and you can sync over wifi, or mobile network. Works perfect for me.
Yup. And if you have other devices (e.g., BlackBerry), you can use Google Sync to sync Google contacts, calendar, etc., with THOSE devices as well, keeping everything in sync.

bernard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad OS 4.2.1. google contacts sync

Hi Forum,
We got an iPad, loaded with 4.2.1 OS. When trying to setup sync for Email, Calendar and Contacts, i ran into the following issue:

1) Exchange setup no longer works. It does not complete per instructions.
2) You can now use "Gmail" option under email/contacts/calendar setup.
- but you can only choose Email, Calendar, Notes to synch.

Anyone have an idea how to Sync Google Contacts with iPad on OS 4.2.1.

B

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Forum,
We got an iPad, loaded with 4.2.1 OS. When trying to setup sync for Email, Calendar and Contacts, i ran into the following issue:

1) Exchange setup no longer works. It does not complete per instructions.
2) You can now use "Gmail" option under email/contacts/calendar setup.
- but you can only choose Email, Calendar, Notes to synch.

Anyone have an idea how to Sync Google Contacts with iPad on OS 4.2.1.

B

I'll bet you used your name in the Exchange setup as the user rather than your email address. That's what I did at first. Go back and retry with only your gmail email address.

Also, google this subject and look for the "how to" from Cult of Mac. Or google "how to get free mobileme". It's not really free mobileme, but free equivilants. Look for the Cult of Mac article. It has what you want to do in that article.

Good luck!

Hal

DDustiNN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for this link! I've been trying to figure out how I could sync my Google contacts and calendar with my iPad. My Android phone does it automatically (since it's Google-based, and all), and I wanted to have the same info on my iPad. This looks like it will do the trick. Thanks again! :D

This is also something that just may sway me toward the iPhone if it ever gets released on Verizon ;) haha...

OP
the_john

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys are awesome. Thanks!
Still researching all I want to do with the iPad before I buy. Think I'm going to wait till February to see if the iPad 2 comes out.

DonInPlaya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Contacts Sync With Groups For Gmail

If you're looking for a way to sync your iPad contacts with Gmail while maintaining your contacts organized in groups, you may want to try "Contacts Sync with Groups For Gmail" at the App Store. I'm not allowed to post the link on this forum, but if you search in the App Store, you should be able to find my app.

Most reactions

Latest posts