What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync mutliple devices on the same computer?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I own an iPod Touch & now the iPad2 - iTunes is on a Dell laptop, so I'm syncing both to the same computer; now, a number of the apps are compatible w/ both Apple devices, but I don't necessarily want all apps on both devices.

So, when I sync either the iPod or the iPad2 to this single laptop, what is the best way to avoid adding apps to the device not desired? I know that in iTunes options are available for 'sync' choices, but how does one select these options before the sync process?

Thanks for any comments or advise - :)

Reaction score
I made a separate Windows user log in in my desktop for my Ipad since I want mine separate from my wife's Ipad and kids ipods. I call it Marks Ipad so we all know its just for that and we all use the regular Owner log in for everything else.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Inc

Azvjc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For each device in iTunes, de-select the "sync all" default setting and then choose the items you want to sync. If, when you plug in your device, it starts to sync, simply cancel the sync by pressing the x next to the sync status at the top of the screen. When you are done, just hit the "sync now"button and it will remove any items that you don't want sync'd.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For a little extra control over syncing, open Preferences in iTunes, go to the Devices tab and turn off auto-syncing. Now it won't sync every time you plug it in, so you can make changes before you sync, or do other tasks that don't need you to sync.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For a little extra control over syncing, open Preferences in iTunes, go to the Devices tab and turn off auto-syncing. Now it won't sync every time you plug it in, so you can make changes before you sync, or do other tasks that don't need you to sync.

Thanks Twerppoet for the advice above - will give it a try! :)

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The advantages of one account are that you can share apps, music, and movies, and at the same time have different things on each iPad. But, first, click on FILE on the top left of the screen, and click Preferences. Select the DEVICES tab and check the box before "Prevent iPod, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically." Also, on the APPS tab for your iPhone make sure the box before "Automatically sync new apps." is not checked unless you both want to have all the same apps on your iPhones.Under the MUSIC tab check box before "Sync Music", and then check the box before "Selected playlists, artists, albums, and genres.". Then check the Artist or songs you want to put on your iPhone. That way each of you can have the music you each like on your iPhones. You can also do a similar thing with apps and movies.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Never had any issues here. I have my 3 devices synced into itune simultaneously sometimes. I keep all my iTunes library on a portable pocket FireWire drive for convenience too.

I'm on a pc win XP64 and a version of iTunes which isn't the most up to date.

Most reactions