What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync I pad with laptop

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To download the software to your laptop, tap the link provided by twerppoet. Then scroll down a bit. Don't use the link to Google Play Store or App Store. Here's the part that helps download it to your computer, this is where you have to tap:
image.jpg

You need to install the software on your computer, in order to be able to sync the photos.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again - sorry for your problems - I'm a little befuddled why this has not been easier for you - both the iOS & OS X PhotoSync apps are small programs and typically easily installed (believe that I've gotten at least a half dozen people to add them to their devices over the last 3 years or so). Plus, I'm not familiar anymore w/ using iTunes under Windows, so not sure if the app behaves differently: and I still don't understand why iTunes needs to assist in downloading the app.

First, did you reboot your laptop and does it seem to be working fine? Now, the app for Windows (different from the company's app for the iOS) is available from the link given previously by two of us - see the first screen capture below from the developer's website - a hit on the Window's 'Download' button should simply transfer the program package to a folder on your laptop, ready to be installed - did that work as described?

When I open PhotoSync on my Mac laptop, an icon is placed in the Dock Station (red arrow on the second screen capture) and a dialog box opens (which can be disabled) explaining 'how' to transfer images either to an iDevice from the computer or in the other direction. If I close that box and tap on the Dock icon, the PhotoSync menu appears in the top left; under 'Files' (blue arrow on third screen capture) and from there the 'select files' choice will open a Finder window (like Windows Explorer) and by clicking on my 'Pictures' folder, images can then be selected for transfer to an iDevice. This function can also be selected from the Dock icon by right tapping.

If both apps are open, i.e. on the iPad & on the computer, then selected images in either location can be synced over a Wi-Fi network and easily transferred. Let us know if this makes any sense and whether you did the initial steps correctly and are seeing the same types of screens illustrated. Good luck - Dave :)

P.S. GREAT! Johanna has also 'chimed in' - hopefully 3 minds (i.e. TP) are better than one! :)
Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 10.47.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 10.35.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-04 at 10.39.02 AM.png

OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I am going to have to give up on this. I am not bright enough to follow the instructions. I did not know where all the photos had gone. I clicked on the search button in my laptop and it tells me the folder containing photosync is in music>ITunes>itunesmusic>mobile apps. Does that mean photosync works within the I tunes folder? Just as if you are downloading from ITunes
To download the software to your laptop, tap the link provided by twerppoet. Then scroll down a bit. Don't use the link to Google Play Store or App Store. Here's the part that helps download it to your computer, this is where you have to tap:
View attachment 62138
You need to install the software on your computer, in order to be able to sync the photos.

OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much Giradman Johanna and Twerppoet
Sorry I took so long to understand the workings of this. My 82 year old brain does not work As well as it used to.
I think I have got it at last. It is now installed where it should be and my next step will be to try and use it. Thank you for all your patience.

OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much Giradman Johanna and Twerppoet
Sorry I took so long to understand the workings of this. My 82 year old brain does not work As well as it used to.
I think I have got it at last. It is now installed where it should be and my next step will be to try and use it. Thank you for all your patience.
Should I remove all the pictures which are on the IPad first before I try to download the new lot?and if so how do I do that?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
We are talking about two different apps. One is for your iPad, and found in the iTunes Store. The other is for your Windows computer, and found on the developer's website. You download it in your web browser (Explorer, FireFox, Chrome, Safari, whatever) while using the computer. If you find yourself back in iTunes when trying to download the computer version, you chose the wrong option on the site.

When both are installed, you launch both on each device. Select the photos you want to send on the iPad and go through the choices till it syncs with the computer. An exporter window on the computer will open with the images.

I don't know what folder it shows up in for Windows. On the Mac they show up in the Pictures folder under a subfolder called iPad. I images it is similar on the Windows, which also has a default folder for images/pictures.

You should be able to change where the pictures go by default by changing the app's preferences on the computer.

On my Mac, the app doesn't open a window by default when you start it. Instead it shows up in the menu bar. When you want to send photos from the computer to the iPad I go there, choose the Send option, and it opens a finder (explorer window) so I can browse and select the files.

OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are talking about two different apps. One is for your iPad, and found in the iTunes Store. The other is for your Windows computer, and found on the developer's website. You download it in your web browser (Explorer, FireFox, Chrome, Safari, whatever) while using the computer. If you find yourself back in iTunes when trying to download the computer version, you chose the wrong option on the site.

When both are installed, you launch both on each device. Select the photos you want to send on the iPad and go through the choices till it syncs with the computer. An exporter window on the computer will open with the images.

I don't know what folder it shows up in for Windows. On the Mac they show up in the Pictures folder under a subfolder called iPad. I images it is similar on the Windows, which also has a default folder for images/pictures.

You should be able to change where the pictures go by default by changing the app's preferences on the computer.

On my Mac, the app doesn't open a window by default when you start it. Instead it shows up in the menu bar. When you want to send photos from the computer to the iPad I go there, choose the Send option, and it opens a finder (explorer window) so I can browse and select the files.

OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't thank you all enough for all your patience. This is truly a wonderful site. The screen shots were a big help. I have now got the app installed on my laptop but it will not open up. I realise this must be a problem with my laptop and I have asked the question on the site which Giradman recommended "Cyber Tech help" I can't believe how much assistance I have had from you all

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again - sorry for your continuing problem - have not posted to the CyberTechHelp forum for two years but was a frequent visitor and poster there in the past - hope that you have a good experience.

Also, keep in mind that the PhotoSync website has its own 'Support' page and FAQs, e.g. take a look at this THIS Windows question - might help? Also, there is a 'Contact' page to leave a question.

Please keep us posted - PhotoSync has been around for a while and is an excellent pair of apps to have on your computer & iDevice. Dave :)

OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all very much for help.i have not been working on this for a few days but will get back to it and if I have more problems I will come back to you. I think I am beginning to understand what I am doing now. I probably have far too many photos and will organise them better before proceeding. It is good to know you are all so helpful and patient with an old brain

OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I am back to my problem. I have now got the Photosync app on both my laptop and my I pad and I have edited all my photos in I tunes and deleted a lot. I now want to transfer all the photos in mY pictures from laptop to I Pad. I still have the original lot of pics on my I pad. How do I delet all the pics on I pad so thati have a clean slate to transfer the new edited lot.
Does the I pad have to be connected to the laptop to do this. There is a message on my laptop saying "Please select device to transfer to " and my device is not listed.
Sorry to be such a dolt!

Last edited:
OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem seems to be that I do not know where to get my photos on laptop to do this transfer. They are all in my photos on my hard drive but maybe I need to remove my I pad from I tunes to be able to shift photos or do I do it from there? I tried to drag an album from my photos but this does not seem to work
I have now connected laptop to I pad with cable and my device comes up.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you originally synced you photos to the iPad using iTunes, you'll have to use iTunes to remove them. Connect the iPad to the computer, select it in iTunes, turn off Photo syncing, and sync.

Otherwise, you should be able to select and delete photos in the Photos app.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
.. I have now got the Photosync app on both my laptop and my I pad and I have edited all my photos in I tunes and deleted a lot. I now want to transfer all the photos in mY pictures from laptop to I Pad. I still have the original lot of pics on my I pad. How do I delet all the pics on I pad so thati have a clean slate to transfer the new edited lot.
Does the I pad have to be connected to the laptop to do this. There is a message on my laptop saying "Please select device to transfer to " and my device is not listed.

Hi again Jolin..... - I saw that TP has replied to you about syncing your computer's pictures - from the above quote, I'm not sure exactly what you have done concerning 'edited all my photos in iTunes and deleted a lot'? iTunes is used to sync your computer's image folder(s) to your iPad and as always is still extremely confusing, especially for those who use this option rarely. Maybe you need to tell us about your 'Photo Library', e.g. what is the source of these images you have put on your laptop (e.g. from your digital camera); are the images stored in one location or multiple sites on your computer (e.g. under 'Pictures' w/ sub-folders); and as to the iPad are all of the images there from your laptop and/or elsewhere?

On the iPad, photos come from two sources: 1) Sync from iTunes (these can only be removed by a repeat sync w/ a de-selection of the photos) as explained by TP; and 2) Images added to the iPad directly (plenty of options - built-in camera, downloaded, emailed, loaded from a camera (e.g. using the CCK), etc.). Please let us know 'what' type of images as in my explanation are now on your iPad - if both, them will take two steps to remove them from your device. For more information, take a look HERE. Dave :)

Last edited:
OP
Jolinmax

Jolinmax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both again!
My photos on my laptop are all in a folder on my external hard drive called my pictures. They are from a variety of sources, my camera, my I pad and my telephone. I also have some videos in folders which have not been edited in the same folder (my pictures) but there are lots of I sub folders within my pictures. They have been originally synced from I tunes. I went through them all in my pictures folder and deleted quite a number so the pictures that are on my I pad now are the original ones before I removed a lot of unwanted ones

Most reactions

Latest posts