What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspicious Visa Charge From iTunes

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Usually when they find an app is doing garbage like this, they will pull it or make restrictions on buying the add-ons. I have to wonder if these programs are part of the reason for the crack down on in-app purchases. It would allow more control from Apple over such frauds.

pricej636

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - problem partially solved. By following your gray-arrow suggestion, I was able to narrow it down to one app: "Bakery Story." It seems that iTunes charged me $89.99 for this supposedly "free" app.

I am contacting Visa, disputing the charge, and requesting that I be given a fraud credit in the amount of the charge. I will also be contacing iTunes.

Do you have kids? Bakery Story is one of those free apps that allows in-game purchases to get extra goodies or speed things up. Those costs can add up quickly and children often don't realize they're charging to the account. Smurf's Village is another one that has gotten a lot of attention in the press as kids run up $1000 or more in charges to their parent's iTunes account.

Publisher greed: Little girl amasses $1,400 iPhone bill playing ‘Smurf’s Village’

My solution to avoid iTunes fraud (and problems like the above) is to use a virtual credit card with a $20 limit on it. Bank of America and a few other banks offer this service. My max liability is $20. When that $20 is exhausted through legit purchases, I just add another one with a $20 limit.

Well, I did the same thing as the little children - I guess I purchased some "gems" to "help play the game better" totally without knowing that hard bucks were being charged for the purchase. Don't ask me how that happened - I certainly never did it knowingly. Eighty nine bucks in order to play some video game a little better? I don't think so.

I was able to talk to a human at Apple. She got iTunes on another line. Problem fixed. My credit card will be credited next month for the full amount of the charge (which I had already paid before discovering what was going on).

What a scam. How do they allow something like this to go on?

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Also glad to hear iTunes is willing to credit your card back. They like to credit you back by giving iTunes store credit. So they trick you into thinking they are refunding your money, when in reality you are just giving it back to them. Ive had them do this to me a few times.

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have kids? Bakery Story is one of those free apps that allows in-game purchases to get extra goodies or speed things up. Those costs can add up quickly and children often don't realize they're charging to the account. Smurf's Village is another one that has gotten a lot of attention in the press as kids run up $1000 or more in charges to their parent's iTunes account.

Publisher greed: Little girl amasses $1,400 iPhone bill playing ‘Smurf’s Village’

My solution to avoid iTunes fraud (and problems like the above) is to use a virtual credit card with a $20 limit on it. Bank of America and a few other banks offer this service. My max liability is $20. When that $20 is exhausted through legit purchases, I just add another one with a $20 limit.

Well, I did the same thing as the little children - I guess I purchased some "gems" to "help play the game better" totally without knowing that hard bucks were being charged for the purchase. Don't ask me how that happened - I certainly never did it knowingly. Eighty nine bucks in order to play some video game a little better? I don't think so.

I was able to talk to a human at Apple. She got iTunes on another line. Problem fixed. My credit card will be credited next month for the full amount of the charge (which I had already paid before discovering what was going on).

What a scam. How do they allow something like this to go on?

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Also glad to hear iTunes is willing to credit your card back. They like to credit you back by giving iTunes store credit. So they trick you into thinking they are refunding your money, when in reality you are just giving it back to them. Ive had them do this to me a few times.

At the end of the day yesterday, I checked my iTunes account, and it contains an entry which specifically mentions a credit being applied to my credit card, so I think I will be OK.

I can't figure out why Apple hasn't come to the fore on this in app purchases scam, and simply refused to provide apps that indulge in this kind of theft.

nosuel_tj98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pdmike said:
At the end of the day yesterday, I checked my iTunes account, and it contains an entry which specifically mentions a credit being applied to my credit card, so I think I will be OK.

I can't figure out why Apple hasn't come to the fore on this in app purchases scam, and simply refused to provide apps that indulge in this kind of theft.

To every parent, I need your help...
Hi! I am also a father who was a victim of the app Zoo Story and accidentally purchased a $100++ worth of gems... Well, my son was the one playing the game... I was so disappointed how such an apple iPad victimizes young kids and even adults for them to earn such amount just to play better in that game. Well, I e-mailed Apple Support with this matter but until now they have not given me a reply... May I humbly ask for your help on now you got the attention of ITunes support. I mean step by step. I will highly appreciate your help.
-TJ

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pdmike said:

To every parent, I need your help...
Hi! I am also a father who was a victim of the app Zoo Story and accidentally purchased a $100++ worth of gems... Well, my son was the one playing the game... I was so disappointed how such an apple iPad victimizes young kids and even adults for them to earn such amount just to play better in that game. Well, I e-mailed Apple Support with this matter but until now they have not given me a reply... May I humbly ask for your help on now you got the attention of ITunes support. I mean step by step. I will highly appreciate your help.
-TJ

I would call ('phone) the Apple Support line and quote the transaction reference number from your iTunes invoice. They will credit the sum to your iTunes account. Many of our Members have got refunds this way and I've not heard of a Member yet who has been refused a refund.

To prevent this happening in future you need to go to 'Settings', 'General', 'Restrictions', 'In App purchases' -> 'Off' and that will prevent any further in-app purchases.

Let us know how you get on.

Tim

nosuel_tj98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response. May I know what phone number, I will call. I am from the Philippines and I am willing to call overseas just to refund said purchase. Many thanks.

nosuel_tj98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi... Just to inform you... I have sent an email twice to apple support. Will that work?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should do, but you'll get a much faster and more positive and re-assuring response if you 'phone and the problem will be resolved immediately, usually.

Tim

nosuel_tj98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,
Finally I got an email from ITunes Support informing me that they will reverse the payment I made. I am really grateful of this fora. Thanks and God Bless!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know. It will encourage other Members who have had similar problems with excessive in-app charges.

Have a great weekend..

Tim

MrOnager

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is not uncommon for people to see an unauthorized CC charge that reads, "APL*ITUNES 866-712-7753 CA" Often times the first one will be for $1.00, I assume the fraudster is checking to see if it works. You can learn more about this scam by Googling "itunes charges on my credit card, or at 800notes (dot) com and entering the above phone number. There are many recent complaints there. This has been going on for some time. A friend of mine got hit with this about 3 yrs ago and didn't even have an iTunes acct, or anyhting Apple. Her CC company was anything but helpful. Be sure to keep an eye on all your cards for this charge.

junoheraedge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it happen to me also

it happened to me , when i was downloading multiple free apps, i cancelled it. but when i opened my account all the cancelled account where automatically downloading even it is free charge. i check the bank and the history of my transaction , they said i was charged 6 dollars twice. ask your bank, they can your history of transaction online. my account was also visa so i edit my profile in itunes and selected no visa

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes is as good as any large credit card holding location. You do not have to have an iTunes account to get charged, because a lot of crooks will use stolen credit card numbers to buy stuff from Apple. The safest way to buy from Apple is to go and buy an iTunes card. You download the card to your iTunes account, and recharge when your balance is down. You may still get ripped off, but it limits the amount. You should study some of the rules of finding when your credit card number may be compromise. Most credit cards get ripped off when used in day to day shopping.

Most reactions

Latest posts