What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Survey Finds that Americans Love Using Tablets and Smartphones When Watching TV

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
tablets_and_tv.JPG

The Verge reports today on a new survey from Nielsen that looks into how often people like to use their tablets and phones when they’re watching TV. The survey breaks down the results in terms of users in the US, UK, Germany and Italy, and finds that 88% of tablet owners and 86% of smartphone owners in the US use their devices at the same time as watching TV once per month, 45% of tablet owners and 41% of smartphone owners do so on a daily basis, and 26% of US tablet owners say that they use their tablet at the same time as watching TV several times a day. The UK came in a very close second behind the US, with 80% of tablet owners and 78% of smartphone owners using their devices when watching TV, and very similar figures for those who did so daily, with 24% of those surveyed saying that they liked to use their device and watch TV at the same time. At the other end of the scale, Italians and Germans were least likely to use their tablet or smartphone when watching TV, with 29% in both countries saying that they never use a tablet when watching TV, and 34% of Italians and 35% of Germans saying that they never use their smartphone when watching TV.

Neilsen also looked into what people are actually doing with their smartphones and tablets when watching TV, and found that checking email was the most frequent activity, either during the commercials or when watching a show. The device users also said that they liked to look up show-related information, or information about products that they had seen on adverts when watching TV shows.

Source: Americans top at using tablets and smartphones while watching TV | The Verge
Double Vision – Global Trends in Tablet and Smartphone Use while Watching TV | Nielsen Wire

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or in my case, checking up on ipadforum and posting on my subscribed threads!

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do it everyday. Lots of times I'll use it to see what's on.
With the cable app I watch TV on it.

☮ ♥ 

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have half of one eye on my TV, and the other 1 1/2 eyes on my new iPad

xx55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have apple tv2 and remote on my phone and ipad. i love to use all 3 at the same time!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm from the UK and I do this too! iPad and iPhone never far from my hand while watching tv. How else can I keep up with the Where in the world thread!

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

Most reactions