What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stylus: Targus versus Stylus-R-Us Roger iWand

flips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I seriously hope the Targus/Griffin/Boxwave styluses aren't as bad as the terrible el cheapo one I've got. I saw Dagi demonstrated on YouTube, and it looked much better ...

Anyway, I am still not sure if I'll prefer stylus vs finger at all in the end, so I'll try to get hands-on experience with anything before I buy anything ... But if I end up wanting to buy a S-R-U stylus, what would shipping to Norway be?

pluto6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm another person sold on the Stylus R Us. I have a Boxwave and it's ok, just not great. But, for a poor student, maybe worth your while. Like buying a Bic pen, it works - no frills. Is it worth buying a Mont Blanc, or a Waterman- for me, yes. I like quality. Eventually lack of quality is more expensive, but sometimes in the short term, getting something that just works may be OK. If you can afford to get one, get the aluminum Roger iWand from Jack. You'll be happy. I would be careful with the Dagi- I have read so many comments that you have to get the angle just right on it for it to work, and who needs that?

My advice is get the Stylus R Us, because the bottom line is you don't like it, you send it back. Jack is a great guy to work with and that is important as well. You should check out his website and you can also communicate directly to him through the website.

flips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best would of course be to have a pressure sensitive stylus, so you could draw thinner and heavier lines depending on pressure, but I guess that's not possible on a capacitive screen like this ...
Maybe I'll give S-R-U a try -- when I get some funds available ... :)

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Flips,

I did a critical review of three stylii on this subforum. If you haven't seen it, you might want to have a look.

In short, I felt that the Targus was pretty good, the Dagi pretty poor, and the iWand---though not ideal---is clearly much better. From the other reviews I have read, the Targus is representative of an entire class of stylii.

The only shortcoming of the iWand, to me at any rate, is that I have a natural instinct to press too hard. I am learning to overcome that, and things get better with experience.

I, too, bought a cheapo for a couple of bucks and had the same reaction you did: the sliding friction on the screen is so high it is hard to use and you have to press very hard to get a reaction.

At present, I thinkyou might be well advised to splurge a bit and invest in the iWand if you are a heavy note taker. In passing, I would also highly recommend Note Taker HD.

Good luck.

flips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I don't know yet if I lean toward having a heavy hand, as I have little experience. (Last time I used the stylus, was on the Palm, mainly before I moved to the Treo, which had a nice keyboard,) Back then the screen was pressure sensitive, so one needed to apply some pressure ...

Anyway, have anyone here tried the Mountain Doodle? (mountaindoodle.com)
They seem to have some kind of woolen tip ...

blaster9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Listen...I had an attorney contact me who lives close by and my wife and I met with him to deliver his "ATTORNEY" stylus. Knowing he would love that one - yet it would be too short to enjoy on the iPad - I gave him the one I use - the New Jersey - KNOWING he would be ruined for life. Meaning - there would be no way he could ever use his fingers again - and he now treasures the New Jersey - as if it were his Ferrari. Here's an email he sent me this morning - after I asked if he was liking it.

"I actually wanted to tell you that i am infatuated with it haha! I actually haven't used the attorney at all. I'm keeping it stowed away in its case until I find a need for it. I haven't put my New Jersey down! I'm going to throw a review up asap. Any preferences on where I post a review? Also, I have my first referral for ya. He's picking up his iPad today and is obsessed with my styluses. Any possibility of getting him the same deal that I got? He wants the attorney (same color as mine) and either a New Jersey or a New Yorker"

Anyone touches his New Jersey - and he'll have you in court so fast - your head would spin. That's the way most are - with our stylus once they get it.

The above-referenced quote is verbatim what I emailed Jack, and was written for good reason. I CANNOT EXPLAIN how amazing every single one of his styluses are.

I bought the Targus stylus from Best Buy when I initially purchased my ipad, and ya it was great, at first. In comparison to using my finger, I was quite satisfied with the Targus. But that all changed once I purchased one of Jack's styluses off of beststylus.com. There is just no comparison. You dont have even have to touch the screen! How can you say that about ANY other stylus in existence? You cant! It doesnt matter which stylus you purchase from Jack because every one of them has the same fiber tip, which is what makes his stylus far superior to any and every stylus in existence. It may sound like im exaggerating, but Im not. Try one of his styluses out and find out for yourself. The Targus is about $16-17 bucks at Best Buy. Jack sells a few of his styluses for around the same price, so what's to lose?

Another thing you dont get when you purchase a Targus, or any stylus for that matter, is the unbelievable customer service that Jack provides. If you have any question, any issue, any problem or inquiry whatsoever, Jack is there. He is quite possibly the friendliest individual I have ever had the pleasure of speaking with. He will go to the ends of the earth to ensure his customers are completely satisfied with their purchase.

What more could you ask for from a company? The best products and the best customer service. Period. Simply put, there's nothing left to compare; nothing left to discuss. ;)

ted888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
....... The one I have now, is just for pointing at the screen, selecting stuff. .....

This is exactly what I feel, after watching a few demo on youtube, I think I am not handicapped that I need a long stick called stylus.:D:D:D

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey jack bauer. What are your tips made of then? The competition, which you don't have, all use conductive foam. the closeup picture of the tip on your stylus does look different than conductive foam.

flips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
flips said:
Anyway, have anyone here tried the Mountain Doodle? (mountaindoodle.com)
They seem to have some kind of woolen tip ...

Mountain Doodle works nice. No pressure needed ...

blaster9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its made out of hi-tech materials only found in space so you know its good cuz ya cant find it anywhere around ;). Whatever it is it works like magic so we all must embrace the mystery that is Jack!

haggisgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whatever it is, I'm glad its there. My Stylus-R-Us stylus makes taking notes a lot easier than using my finger or any other stylus I've tried. I have more control over what I'm writing and my handwriting recognition software works almost perfectly with very few errors. IF you use a light touch. That's the key to using this stylus.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Indeed! My Roger iWand sits at my desk all day at work as I jot a note down. It rocks!

rsmin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, if I pick up my ipad, my stylus-r-us gets picked up with it. I don't use any other stylus with my ipad.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just calculated that since getting my iPad in mid-December 2010 I've produced close to 80 A4-sized documents. They are fairly densely packed with notes and diagrams (nothing type-written).

Many of the documents were created under adverse conditions, eg, in classrooms without aircon on 38 degree days (100F) or at my breakfast/lunch table while I ate and talked (thereby often inadvertently spraying the screen with unwholesome particles).

I use neu.Notes 90% of the time and Note Taker HD the rest of the time. NTHD's Edit2 mode allows you to do all your writing at the bottom of the screen thereby doing away with the problem of palm protection altogether as your hand never touches the screen. But neu.Notes allows you to write anywhere on the screen because it has the best palm protection of any app I've seen.

My sweaty, oily and often less than sparklingly clean hand has been dragged over the iPad's screen literally thousands of times. I have no idea how people can write on a screen without resting their hand on it, but I admire their dexterity.

I would buy an iWand tomorrow (I like the idea of no pressure being necessary) except for the fact that SRU styluses are meant to be used without resting your hand on the screen.

I use a Targus. I've only had one, and it has worked brilliantly.

Most reactions

Latest posts