What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stream movies from NAS to iPad

Bugs00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I have over the last year made a copy of all my DVD movies onto my NAS (Synology 209). They are either ISO files or AVI files.
These I can access from any computer we have (only windows computers) and see a movie either by mounting the disc with Daemon or simply play the files with BS Player / VLC.

Now we have bought an iPad 3 and I would obviously like to do the same here.

I've searched a lot of pages (including this one) for a guide to how this can be done. Unfortunately, no luck.

Is there anyone who can give me (an iPad-newbie) some guidance in the right direction for this. I have installed DS-file and can see the files from the iPad. I just can not play.

The equipment is:
Synology DS209 (DSM 4.0)
NAS is wired to the router that connects alle the units in our house with wireless N networks.
Ipad is the new (Ipad3).

Thank you in advance

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Look for the app called Air Video for your iPad and then go to there website and download the Air Video Server for your PC. The free Air Video app only lets you see 3 movie from the server at a time so if you want full functionality from the app the pay version is only $2.99. The Air Video Server is free.

OP
B

Bugs00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment.
I've tried Air video. I think it requires that I have one of my PC's running at alle times. Is this correct?

The reason that I bought the NAS, was that I could access documents, music and videos from all computers without having other computers on. Is this at all possible on an iPad?

blckz28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your NAS supports UPnP right? Get something like 8player that will stream from any UPnP server.

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the comment.
I've tried Air video. I think it requires that I have one of my PC's running at alle times. Is this correct?

The reason that I bought the NAS, was that I could access documents, music and videos from all computers without having other computers on. Is this at all possible on an iPad?
Well i have converted all my videos into the AppleTv format so this doesn't help you much but with the App filebrowser you can watch the videos have access to all your files (videos, images, documents, ect...)check them downoad them to you ipad if you have an app that supports the format.

OP
B

Bugs00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your NAS supports UPnP right? Get something like 8player that will stream from any UPnP server.

Nice one. 8player plays most files. It struggles af bit with .mkv but I can live with that untill I find a better player.
Thanks a lot.

OP
B

Bugs00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well i have converted all my videos into the AppleTv format so this doesn't help you much but with the App filebrowser you can watch the videos have access to all your files (videos, images, documents, ect...)check them downoad them to you ipad if you have an app that supports the format.

Thanks. Will consider this when I'm leaving home and wants som movies with me.
Quite the work to convert all the videos. What program did you use? One at a time, or can you take a a whole folder with subfolders?

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did this on my Mac using Handbrake. It has an AppleTv2 preset i used for all videos. You can add a couple of movies to the queue and let Handbrake convert it over night. It is a free App for Macand Windows.
You can get it here:

http://handbrake.fr/

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bugs00 said:
Hello

I have over the last year made a copy of all my DVD movies onto my NAS (Synology 209). They are either ISO files or AVI files.
These I can access from any computer we have (only windows computers) and see a movie either by mounting the disc with Daemon or simply play the files with BS Player / VLC.

Now we have bought an iPad 3 and I would obviously like to do the same here.

I've searched a lot of pages (including this one) for a guide to how this can be done. Unfortunately, no luck.

Is there anyone who can give me (an iPad-newbie) some guidance in the right direction for this. I have installed DS-file and can see the files from the iPad. I just can not play.

The equipment is:
Synology DS209 (DSM 4.0)
NAS is wired to the router that connects alle the units in our house with wireless N networks.
Ipad is the new (Ipad3).

Thank you in advance

I use FileBrowser on my iPad to access my NAS drive : photos, movies, PDF, doc, xls, etc. Avi does not always play, just tried many mp4 and it worked. Not sure for iso, I do not have one on the drive... So may not be a solution for you.

Alain

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig (not JB'ed) / using iPF

Last edited:
OP
B

Bugs00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice one. 8player plays most files. It struggles af bit with .mkv but I can live with that untill I find a better player.
Thanks a lot.

Bought Buzz player as well. Seems to work better that 8player.
Still missing support on the iso-files, but guessing that Apple has blocked this....

JewelGarden

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bugs00 said:
Bought Buzz player as well. Seems to work better that 8player.
Still missing support on the iso-files, but guessing that Apple has blocked this....

Buzz Player and Buzz Viewer work great with my GoFlexHome NAS --much better than Seagate's own app. Love the way it remembers where you left off in playing a movie, audiobook or playlist-- something GoFlexAccess won't do. Highly recommended.

Fofer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PavtubeVideo said:
almost all iso files can't be played well by iPad, avi too

AVIs work fine so long as you use a player that supports it. A few have already been mentioned in this thread. Azul is another one. As well as Good Player. That's the one I have been using lately, it connects to the net share of my Time Capsule as an SMB client and stream .AVIs just fine. It can also connect to other NAS devices via UPnP/DLNA, WebDAV, FTP and SFTP. lots of options and very functional.

You can also then AirPlay these .AVIs to an AppleTV, no file conversion needed ahead of time, no computer/server needed, no jailbreaking of the AppleTV... It just works.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I stream my existing media from my NAS using OplayerHD. My NAS (WD) has a built in media server (twonky) which I connect to using the web browser option. I have mostly downloaded AVIs and the occasional MKV, not many issues at all. Check the app out on the App Store for supported file formats.

AussieRob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an application called Stream To Me, it's $2.99 on the app store, you have to install Serve To Me on your PC (which is free) then map it to you NAS. Once its running it lets your IPAD access all your movies, music and photos straight off your NAS and automatically converts them while streaming to a format that is compatible with your IPAD or Iphone. Even better you can password lock your shares in Server To Me so if you have kids you can make it so they can only access your PG movies and don't scar themselves for life by opening AMC's The Walking Dead or something.

While its great, there is sometimes a 10 second delay or so starting a 2GB HD MKV movie when it starts the conversion, but once it starts streaming it works just fine with no jitter.

OP
B

Bugs00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an application called Stream To Me, it's $2.99 on the app store, you have to install Serve To Me on your PC (which is free) then map it to you NAS. Once its running it lets your IPAD access all your movies, music and photos straight off your NAS and automatically converts them while streaming to a format that is compatible with your IPAD or Iphone.

Will I have to have the PC turned on when using "Stream To Me"?

Most reactions

Latest posts