What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stream iTunes from iPad 2.....

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Is it possible to stream my iTunes from my iPad 2 to my media streamer? They are both obviously connected to my network and I want to use my iPad for music but don't want to purchase speakers for the iPad as I have a really good surround system.

Is there even a device to connect to my amp? I'm guessing the easiest and cheapest way would be to stream it via my media streamer (popcorn hour). I know I can view photos on my iPad via the media streamer. There is an option on the iPad to choose the popcorn hour but not when playing music.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

:)

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what your looking for, but an Apple TV might do the trick.

I use mine to play my iTunes library on my surround sound system in my living room.... Basically I just use my iPad as a remote to play my media.

Sent from my iPad2 using Forum Runner

OP
M

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Certainly not looking for a new tv, lol. Bought a new set last year.

I noticed I could stream vids from the iPad to my media streamer but not music.

All I want to do is play music from the iPad via my surround sound. I've found the airport express which I think will do this but didn't wanna fork out more money.

So was wondering if there was a way to stream the music to my media streamer just like u can with vids and photos.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
The apple tv isn't a tv! It's a media streamer similar to what you already have but a bit more restricted/integrated with iTunes.

It would do the same as the airport express but for video and audio.

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1. Sounds like an Apple TV is what your looking for.

Sent from my iPad2 using Forum Runner

OP
M

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys for this. But certainly not looking for a new TV. I think it's the airport express I need so I'll start a new thread about that and hopefully some users will have experience with this.

Reaction score
mrjaffa said:
Thanks guys for this. But certainly not looking for a new TV. I think it's the airport express I need so I'll start a new thread about that and hopefully some users will have experience with this.

Just to reiterate: The AppleTV is not a TV and costs the same as an AirportExpress ;)
The AppleTV is a small box, which connects to your existing TV and sound system, so that you can stream audio and video from your iPad, or desktop iTunes to your TV and sound system.

OP
M

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh bother. Think I missed the above post where it stated it isn't a tv!!!! Lol.

And I've now gone and bought an airport express. d'oh!!!

Only £35 off eBay, used of course. I don't mind if it only plays in stereo i guess, just as long as it streams ok from the iPad.

Reaction score
35£ is a great price for an Airport Express, less than half of what Apple charges and it's not a device where it matters, whether it has been used or not. For that price it was definitely the right choice to buy the APE, instead of ATV.

OP
M

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I was very pleased with the price. Had been watching others go for at least £40 or £50. The guy selling them said it was an office clearance and I think he had quite a few of them to get rid of.

Once it arrives I'll have a good play and hopefully be satisfied.

OP
M

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very impressed! I'm loving it. Very easy to set up and now I can so easily just flick over the channel on my amp and play music from the iPad. Brilliant!

Also, if I want to watch a quick YouTube video or IMDB trailer I can just pop the sound through the surround sound. Even if I play Angry Birds I can have the sound through my speakers! Lol.

£35 very well spent.

Sharkbait

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mrjaffa said:
Very impressed! I'm loving it. Very easy to set up and now I can so easily just flick over the channel on my amp and play music from the iPad. Brilliant!

Also, if I want to watch a quick YouTube video or IMDB trailer I can just pop the sound through the surround sound. Even if I play Angry Birds I can have the sound through my speakers! Lol.

£35 very well spent.

Hey mrjaffa, who did you buy the AE from?

OP
M

mrjaffa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Was off eBay. Think the guy did have a few but can't seem to find any more now.

pshood143 was his user name.

Most reactions

Latest posts