What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound on iPad says headphones even when headphones not in!

Tuttlebees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This came out of the blue. There is no sound except via headphones. The audio slider says headphones even though none are in. When I go to settings , sounds these come up though. Any advice gratefully received

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

The symptoms you're describing can be caused by debris or an object in the headset jack. Look at it, and if you find something there, try to remove it, if possible, but be careful when doing so. If you can't do it yourself, visit the next Apple Store.
If there is light debris, such as lint, in the headset jack, try connecting the headphones to the headset jack and then remove them. Do this several times to remove the debris.

What else you could try:
Make sure your device isn't muted.
Reset your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then release both and let the iPad power up on it's own.

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What @J.A. said. I've actually had the same issue on my iPad a few days ago. A hard reset did the trick. Usually bugs like these are software related and a hard reset will resolve the issue.

Most reactions

Latest posts