What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound drop out

bulldog101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why the sound will drop out from time to time on my iPad 2?? Sometimes it can be in the middle of a video and when I press the volume button the volume icon does not appear. A
So if I'm in the music app, the volume slider Is greyed out and does not function. It makes no difference if I reset or turn it off and on again but if I just leave it for a while it comes back by itself!!!! Any ideas???? I'm flummoxed!!!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try force closing apps and see if this helps:

Double tap the Home button to reveal the multitask bar. That done, this is the next step:
iOS 6: tap and hold an an app icon in the multitask bar until they start to wiggle, then delete them.
iOS 7: slide the pictures/thumbnails above the app icons towards the top of the screen.

Take a look at your connector. Maybe there's some dirt that makes the iPad think it's docked. Clean it cautiously with a soft brush or air spray. Also look at the headphone jack, if something there is causing the issue.

Last edited:

Most reactions