What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sms messaging explanation needed

jegellman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use both an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 for messaging.

On the iPad 2 iMessage is great if the other party has an iDevice, otherwise I only get to exchange texts with them on my iPhone. I understand that there are messaging apps that I can use from the App store, but I'm not sure they will allow me to accomplish my goal of being able to get text messages sent to my phone to show up on my iPad (even if from non-iDevices).

I don't mind using iMessage and another app on my iPad to do this, but it is unclear how another app will allow me to get messages on my iPad that are sent to me via my phone number (and not to my email address).

Can someone explain how this will work, and suggest apps that will solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jegellman said:
I use both an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 for messaging.

On the iPad 2 iMessage is great if the other party has an iDevice, otherwise I only get to exchange texts with them on my iPhone. I understand that there are messaging apps that I can use from the App store, but I'm not sure they will allow me to accomplish my goal of being able to get text messages sent to my phone to show up on my iPad (even if from non-iDevices).

I don't mind using iMessage and another app on my iPad to do this, but it is unclear how another app will allow me to get messages on my iPad that are sent to me via my phone number (and not to my email address).

Can someone explain how this will work, and suggest apps that will solve the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately all the SMS apps I have looked at require you create a new number/ID to be used by the service.

Now with that said there are android apps hat will do auto forwarding so maybe use that to forward to third party IOS SMS messaging service?

OP
jegellman

jegellman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sound like the right kind of thinking... What about an app on the iPhone that would auto forward messages into iMessages?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jegellman said:
That sound like the right kind of thinking... What about an app on the iPhone that would auto forward messages into iMessages?

Likely more but seems coretext for iOS will do it

OP
jegellman

jegellman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did a quick look, and don't see how CoreText would be able to "get" at the received native iPhone messages! The description speaks to forwarding CoreText messages.

Do you know of such a feature in CoreText?

OP
jegellman

jegellman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, it occurs to me that the app would need to distinguish between texts sent from iDevices, else iMessages would appear on the iPad twice: once natively and once due to forwarding!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jegellman said:
I did a quick look, and don't see how CoreText would be able to "get" at the received native iPhone messages! The description speaks to forwarding CoreText messages.

Do you know of such a feature in CoreText?

To forward FROM iMessage the only option I have found is BiteSMS.

It requires a jailbreak of the iPad.

http://www.bitesms.com/main/more_features

OP
jegellman

jegellman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That might allow me to get all messages on the iPhone but not the iPad!

As for the jailbreak, solving this issue might justify my otherwise general lack of interest in doing so. I'm a pc techie but more of a user with my iDevices--- have to give the geek time off now and again!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jegellman said:
That might allow me to get all messages on the iPhone but not the iPad!

As for the jailbreak, solving this issue might justify my otherwise general lack of interest in doing so. I'm a pc techie but more of a user with my iDevices--- have to give the geek time off now and again!

If a solution is viable for the iPhone what would prohibit it being used on the iPad as well?

I am a techie too. I support an iSeries system (IBM iSeries.....surprised Apple hasn't bought the name lol!) for a medium sized company. Also have worked WINTEL and UNIX platforms to varying degrees because so many exist and all of them interface with the iSeries machine that I'm responsible for.

Not unlike you my leap into the apple world was intended to be strictly recreational but word got out in the office that I bought an iPad. The popularity of the iPad with upper management combined with the fact that we did not formally support Apple devices resulted in me ever so slowly becoming the support contact for employees purchasing iPads presuming they could render their laptops obsolete. In most cases I escaped by setting up their VPN connections, Exchange accounts, 5250 emulation, and of course Angry Birds lol!

The iPad is an extraordinary device that we are quickly discovering has great potential from a business perspective. For example https://squareup.com/ is being seriously considered as a replacement for existing POS devices/systems that are old, costly to maintain, and lack the functionality iPads and both canned and custom iOS applications can potentially provide.

...what I'm getting at is it is just a matter of time before I'm going to have to jailbreak my own iPad if only to gain some insight into the potential benefits and risks jail breaking represents from a business/support perspective.

I can relate to your quandary so I say damn the torpedoes and lets both of us crack these puppies open from a software perspective and teach them some new tricks !

OP
jegellman

jegellman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great attitude!

The iPad - iPhone difference is in the native messaging software apps... IMessage on the iPad works withe iDevices only (but has other features and benefits, whereas the messages app on the iPhone is device type agnostic. Moreover, the iPhone takes into account the phone number and the iPad only does so when the number is affiliated with an iDevice.

To your notion of working "under the hood" with software... Seems to me a viable software solution would more easily be apparent to someone proficient with the iOS API...like you, that ain't me!

I have to believe there are plenty of other users with the same issue (I get real tired of having to haul my iPhone alongside my iPad to make sure I don't miss a text from a Droid user!).

Most reactions

Latest posts