What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smaller version iPad coming later this year?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure if it's produced it will sell well. More of a super iPod Touch than a mini-iPad, though. I think the pricing will be tricky. For example, one of the major strengths of the iPad is that it can be "stretched" to be a content creation device. Not perfect for that purpose, but at least adequate for many people. But even if the 7.85" version includes all the requisite features including bluetooth for a keyboard, the smaller screen inhibits its use for content creation beyond basic email management and messaging.

So how to price it? I don't see Apple dipping down to the Kindle Fire price point. Apple doesn't have a business model that enables them to sell the range of non-digital content that Amazon can sell. But at anything much beyond $300 it doesn't compete well with cheaper tablets or with the larger iPad (especially if the iPad 2 stays in the mix at $399.) So that puts its price point at about $299, I suspect. But that price point raises other risks for Apple by potentially cannibalizing larger iPad sales where the unit margin is significantly greater. Unless, of course, the mini is pitched as a more pure media consumption device similar to the KF.

Perhaps Apple is willing to give up margin on the unit and make it up with iTunes content revenue. That would be a change in corporate strategy and culture but perhaps dominating all niches of the tablet market is worth it to them. In any event, it's clear that a mini iPad won't enjoy the same unobstructed path to dominance that the original iPad had. Lots of other options including the Kindle Fire are already out there. Making a big splash in a market with existing competitors is considerably more challenging than making a splash where no other rivals yet exist.

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't believe that Apple would waste money like that..!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions