What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small windows at bottom of outlook emails

Geezerbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I permanently remove the annoying five or so small windows at the bottom of my outlook emails? It has something to do with multitasking I believe. I can’t stand it and would like to totally get rid of them completely. I do not multitask at all. I have multitask turned off in settings. Seems to me Apple should have a switch to either enable or disable multitask and others that many of us do not want. Thanks for your comments in advance. Bill

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You cannot turn off the small thumbnails you are referring to. As you say they are part of multi tasking which is a built in feature of the operating system and cannot be switched off in settings. You can swipe them away and you may just find the ability to have a split screen or slide-over screen very useful if you give it a try.

OP
G

Geezerbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jupiter7, thank you for your reply. I was afraid of that. I dislike it immensely! Just more damn clutter. I also don’t like the split screen but thanks for the suggestion. When I am reading emails on an iPad I want as much screen available as possible. As I mentioned in my post it would be so much more user friendly if Apple would provide an option to their system to allow the user to select or not select the use of all the various “enhancement’s”.

OP
G

Geezerbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jupiter7, I also would point out that my wife does not have this issue on her iPad.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Jupiter7, I also would point out that my wife does not have this issue on her iPad.
Maybe she is running an older iPad OS. I think from memory the thumbnails and the new version of split screen came with iPad OS 15. You only have to to touch anywhere on the screen to dismiss the thumbnails if you do not need them.

OP
G

Geezerbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe she is running an older iPad OS. I think from memory the thumbnails and the new version of split screen came with iPad OS 15. You only have to to touch anywhere on the screen to dismiss the thumbnails if you do not need them.
I believe she is up to date on OS. I can’t make them disappear by just touching the screen. I have to use a finger from each hand on the outside of the five windows and slide both fingers to the center of the screen just above the five windows to get them to disappear. In my humble opinion just more crap to deal with.

OP
G

Geezerbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope, my apology, you are correct! A tap of the finger anywhere makes them disappear. Thank you!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To get rid of the small windows all you have to do is swipe up on each of them. Only the current window and the one with the + can not be removed this way. If only those two are active none of them will show up when you first open the app. You only see the tabs if you have other views available, so closing them will get rid of them for a while, until you accidentally create a new window/view; usually by starting to create or reply to an email, but not canceling it. Easy to do if you just tap outside of the editor window.

If you want to see the available windows (to use or delete them) tap on the three dots at the top center of the screen.

By the way, it's not just Mail that has this feature. Most of Apple's other apps and many third party apps have multiple window views.

Most reactions

Latest posts