What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skype now always online no matter what?

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There were some changes in Skype recently (an iOS app update a few days ago -- which delivers push messages/notifications even when the app is not running, so it's akin to iMessages or Facebook Messenger; plus they finally seem to support offline messages again, meaning both parties don't have to be online at the same time to get the messages delivered). So far so good.

However, I've been told that I'm apparently always "online" now -- which is weird because I don't run Skype when I don't need it. I use Skype on my laptop, on iPad, and on iPhone (but most often on my laptop). And by always online, I mean even when my iDevices are not connected to network at all.

It looks like a bug that came with these new "improvements". Other then logging out each time or even uninstalling Skype from iPhone/iPad, is there any other option for me to be shown as online explicitly when I'm actually online? Older versions of Skype for iOS had an option like "disconnect when idle for more than N minutes", but even then this was only applicable when the app was running. I don't see any such option now. Does anyone have similar experience with the recent updates?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been able to go online and offline as normal since the update. If I was remaining online I would typically see the impact on my battery. I've seen no such impact.

OP
Commodore

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, you don't have to log off each time. In the meantime I figured that the status is now what counts (i.e. not just shutting down the app, as it was before, which would automatically put you "offline"). So before I close the app on any device, I make sure to change the status to "offline" (as n4uau suggested), or "invisible" (which is maybe even better because then you get all those "offline messages" delivered when you're away - and shown in the notifications on iDevices).
Also, they seem to have improved the way the messages sync across the devices...

Most reactions

Latest posts