What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen Lock Button Won't Work on iPad I

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad I. On the right hand side of the unit, just above the volume control, is a button that is supposed to freeze the screen so it will not rotate when you turn the iPad 90 degrees or whatever.

When I press that button, it doesn't work. What I get when I press it, is a volume indicator with a line through it that appears briefly in the middle of the screen. When I punch it again, the volume indicator reappears and the line through it goes away. I can toggle back and forth between those views all day long.

But insofar as locking the screen - nada.

What's wrong?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to Settings, General and set your Use Side Switch to Lock Rotation. You've currently got it set to Mute. The side button can be set to either use, depending on owner preference.

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to Settings, General and set your Use Side Switch to Lock Rotation. You've currently got it set to Mute. The side button can be set to either use, depending on owner preference.

Thanks so much. Mission accomplished.

rasanandas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

I did it, but still my screen is locked..

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have the newest firmware there is only 2 ways to lock the rotation feature.

See attachments.

The first shows when you double click the home button.
The second shows the setting to change the slide switch function from rotation lock to mute.

Attachments

• image-3577434419.png
    image-3577434419.png
    404.9 KB · Views: 537
  • image-1973274477.png
    image-1973274477.png
    263.6 KB · Views: 1,038
Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

Have a look in the iPad manual noted below...

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
P

pdmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

You have to unlock it in Settings. If it is locked and you change to Mute in Settings, you will get both - your screen will remain locked while you toggle back and forth between Mute and Full Sound with the side switch.

Most reactions

Latest posts