What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen issue after digitizer swap

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I replaced a digitizer for a friend of mine and everything seemed fine when I tested before gluing the new digitizer down, but, once I charged and returned the iPad to him and he used it for a couple of days, he is now reporting a couple of issues.

He is telling me there are 2 faint blue bars along the top and bottom of the row of icons when he touches the one he wants to open.

Also, at times, it will go about just randomly "touching" all over the screen like there is a phantom finger touching all over the screen.

He reported he has tried touching the power and home keys until "slide to power off" appears and he powered it off, and then back on without resolving the issue.

He really doesn't want to do a recovery or any other steps as he does not thing a simple screen swap could cause an issue like this. Is he right? Are touch screens different enough that it could cause an issue like this where a fresh load could be necessary, or could this simply be a bad digitizer?

Supposedly, these are "thoroughly tested" before shipping, and once attached are not returnable for any reason. So, the only way to test is to buy a replacement and attach it, short of doing the other steps of restoring.

Is there any way to do a restore for him from another machine without affecting any backup he might have on his computer?

Thanks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like the replacement digitizer may be faulty. Any backup used to restore the iPad must be from a device using the same Apple ID as the iPad being restored.

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have a new digitizer from another supplier coming, and will try again.

Unfortunately, there are no returns available to me, faulty or not now that this one has been installed.

I would have thought these would be much the same, but, I have found very wide variations in prices from one place to the next.

One place charged as much as $99 and another as little as $15.

Have no idea what the difference would be.

Most reactions