What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving attachments

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob T said:
Is there a way to save attachments to emails on the iPad? Thanks

If tha attachment is a PDF file, it can be saved in iBooks. If it is a photograph, it can be saved in the camera roll.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it is something other than a picture, you need an app that will handle that file type.

Tap and hold on the attachment in Mail for a grid of icons. Your choices, including compatible apps, will be shown. In iOS 5 or earlier you'll get a menu instead. The Open In option shows you the compatible apps.

Note: If the attachment is outlined with a gray dashed boarder it has not been downloaded yet. Tap it to start the download. When it is finished the boarder will be solid.

If you were talking about adding attachments to an email, most apps that create or store documents have an email option. Most of the time this is what you would use to send the attachment.

Last edited:

Brian2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad. I am trying to open and save email attachments but they will only open in Quick Look and I cannot save them from here (only options are to print or close). I have downloaded FTP 2 go Pro and iBooks in order to save but when I tap and hold on an attachment the option to "open in" does not appear. Can anyone help???

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad. I am trying to open and save email attachments but they will only open in Quick Look and I cannot save them from here (only options are to print or close). I have downloaded FTP 2 go Pro and iBooks in order to save but when I tap and hold on an attachment the option to "open in" does not appear. Can anyone help???

What format are the attachments? Attachments can only be opened by apps that are designed to open those attachments, so you need to make sure that you have an app that is designed to work with the type of attachment that you are trying to open.

The Archangel

Brian2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pdfs & powerpoint presentations mostly but also video files etc.

Brian2013

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pdfs & powerpoint presentations mostly but also video files etc.

Brian2013

You will probably need a number of apps, for pdf's I'd recommend GoodReader, for PowerPoint, something like Keynote and video files will depend on the format of the videos but OPlayer is always a good bet.

To be honest, there are many apps for each of your needs, some paid and some free. You will need to take into account if you just want to look at those files or manipulate them in some way but searching in the App Store for "PDF" and your other terms will bring up plenty of options.

The Archangel

Brian2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok - thanks for this.
I have downloaded a few programmes which have been recommended but as I mentioned the "open with" option does not appear when I tap and hold on the attachment - any ideas as to why this is not working for me??

Brian2013

Most reactions

Latest posts